University Writing Center
In the Writing Center, you can get help on all aspects of your writing, from developing ideas to revising and polishing your pieces. We assist with all kinds of writing: academic essays; reports; homework that involves writing; the writing skills parts of the Proficiency Exam; MA theses and dissertations; and other kinds of writing, such as short stories, poems, résumés, business letters, and proposals.
Hours of OperationFinals Week - Dec. 10 - 17
|Wed., Dec. 10
||9 a.m. - 9 p.m.|
|Thu., Dec. 11
||9 a.m. - 9 p.m.|
|Fri., Dec. 12
||9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
|Sat., Dec. 13
||1 p.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Sun. Dec. 14
||3 p.m. - 9 p.m.|
|Mon., Dec. 15
||9 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Tue., Dec. 16
||9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
|Wed., Dec. 17
||9 a.m. - 1 p.m.|
We will be closed on university breaks and holidays.
Online Writing Assistance
The Online Writing Center (login required) is available to students taking distance courses through USD and those who are unable to attend an on-campus session at the Writing Center.
How We Can Help
Professors, Instructors and Teaching Assistants
We can come to your classroom to do a brief presentation (5-10 minutes) about the Writing Center.
- Classroom Presentation Request Form (login required)
- How to Set Up a Paper in APA Style Using Microsoft Word 2010 and 2013 for Windows
- How to Set Up a Paper in APA Style Using Microsoft Word 2011 for Macs
- How to Set Up a Paper in MLA Style Using Microsoft Word 2010 and 2013 for Windows
- How to Set Up a Paper in MLA Style Using Microsoft Word 2011 for Macs
CAAP Proficiency Exam
We provide one-to-one assistance if you are preparing to take or, especially, to retake the writing section of the CAAP (Proficiency Exam).Start Early:
- Begin preparing at the beginning of the semester when the exam will be taken.
- Schedule two to three 60-minute appointments so that you can take practice versions of the writing portion of the CAAP exam.
- Make an Appointment (login required) or contact our office. Specifically request Practice Proficiency Exam.
View more information about the CAAP Exam (login required).
Would you like to practice speaking English with others at the university who understand your needs as an English Language Learner? Our consultants and volunteers will meet with you one-on-one in a comfortable, supportive environment.
- Fall 2014 Workshops
- Spring 2014 Workshops. We recommend you view Hardware and Software Prerequisites before accessing recordings.
- Instructions for Viewing Recordings
Become a Writing Consultant
Are you a good writer? Do you enjoy helping other students with their writing? If so, consider becoming a writing consultant.
- Consultant Application (login required)