Center for Academic & Global Engagement International Student Services

Health Insurance & Immunizations


For all foreign national students, BOR Policy 3.14 requires that you have credible health insurance as determined by the SD Board of Regents. You are responsible for purchasing health insurance coverage that meets BOR Policy 3.14 requirements, any federal visa requirements, and IRS regulations.  The South Dakota Board of Regents has identified several health insurance plan design options for you to choose from, the acceptable plans are outlined on this website.

You will be required to provide proof of coverage to the Center for Academic & Global Engagement. If you do not provide proof of insurance, you will not be able to enroll in any SD Board of Regents university. You must be covered by this insurance the entire time you are in the U.S. - even if you are not enrolled in classes during the summer, you are still required to be insured.  A lapse in coverage will affect your eligibility for future coverage. If you have questions about Health Insurance and Immunizations, please contact the Center at or 1-605-677-6338.


All students who meet established criteria are obligated to demonstrate immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.

Relevant criteria that drive the need for compliance are:

  • Age: Students born on or after January 1, 1957 must comply; those born prior to this date are excused. 
  • Course Schedule: Students who register for two or more credit-bearing classes are obligated to comply.
  • Academic Background: Students who have completed prior collegiate work in the state of South Dakota initiated prior to July 1, 2008 are excused from compliance.

Acceptable Evidence of Immunity to MMR Includes:

  • Immunization record which specifies administration oftwo doses of the MMR vaccine.
  • Medical laboratory report that proves immunity to MMR. - i.e., Titer Reports.

You will not be able to register for classes if you do not comply with the immunization policy.  Full details found here.

Meningococcal and Hepatitis B vaccines are also recommended. Please visit Student Health Services for further information.


Prescription Medication

If you take prescription medication on a regular basis, bring a sufficient supply. Your prescriptions are likely to be cheaper if renewed before leaving your home country. If you take prescription medication, it is safest to have a list of all of your medications signed by a doctor as proof of legitimacy with you as you travel. In case you have to claim these medications at customs. If you depend on eyeglasses, it is a good idea to bring an extra pair, and a copy of your eyeglasses prescription. Although you may feel more comfortable using over the counter medications from home for common issues such as headaches, colds, upset stomach or minor injuries, aspirin, ointments and other remedies - these will be readily available in the US.