The University of South Dakota offers a number of major, merit-based scholarships for talented students, independent of scholarships students may receive from sources outside The University.
- Thomas A. Stickney Memorial Scholarship - The Stickney Scholarship, endowed by an Honors graduate and his family provides $1,000 for a sophomore Honors student to use during his or her junior year.
- Law Honors Scholars Program - The Law Honors Scholar identifies outstanding high school students dedicated to the mission of the School of Law. Law Honors Scholars receive provisional (automatic) admission to the School of Law.
- Sanford School of Medicine Alumni Student Scholars Program - For more information on this scholarship, please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions scholarship page.
- Davies Scholarship - The Davies Scholarship, endowed by Tom and Karen Davies of Vermillion, SD, provides $1000 each to two students during the thesis writing process. South Dakota residents who have declared a major in the Beacom School of Business or have an economics major within the College of Arts & Sciences are given first preference.
- Nationally Competitive Scholarships are a prestigious, highly selective group of scholarships offered for undergraduate and graduate study, as well as research. Recipients are chosen based on essays, recommendations, GPA and other factors. Standards are very high.
- Nationally competitive scholarships are often hard to win, however, students from USD win one or more of these competitions virtually every year.