Ecology, Fish Ecology, Stream Ecology
I study the ecology and conservation of stream and terrestrial ecosystems. I use population, community, behavioral and food web ecology to 1) guide conservation of freshwater species, and 2) understand how species loss, species introductions, and pollution affect food webs within and across ecological boundaries.
- Ph D, Zoology, University of Oklahoma, 2010
- MS, Biology, Western Carolina University, 2005
- BS, Zoology, University of Oklahoma, 2002
- MODEL SYSTEMS TO UNDERSTAND THREATS TO FRESHWATER ECOSYSTEMS , Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, (2013 - 2014)
- Wesner, J., Belk, M., Variation in the trophic position of common stream fishes and its relationship to the presence of a rare fish, northern leatherside chub (Lepidomeda copei). , Ecology of Freshwater Fish.
- Carr, N. B., Garman, S. L., Walters, A., Ray, A., Melcher, C. P., Wesner, J., O'Donnell, M. S., Sherrill, K. R., Babel, N. C., Bown, Z. H., (2013), Wyoming Basin Rapid Ecoregional Assessment Work Plan, USGS.
- Wesner, J., (2013), Fish predation alters benthic, but not emerging, insects across whole pools of an intermittent stream, Freshwater Science, vol. 32, iss. 2, p. 438–449.
- Wesner, J., (2012), Emerging aquatic insects as predators in terrestrial systems across a gradient of stream temperature in North and South America, Freshwater Biology, vol. 57, iss. 12, p. 2465–2474.
- Wesner, J., Belk, M., (2012), Habitat relationships among biodiversity indicators and co-occurring species in a freshwater fish community, Animal Conservation, vol. 15, iss. 5, p. 445–456.
- Wesner, J., Billman, E. J., Belk, M. C., (2012), Multiple predators indirectly alter community assembly across ecological boundaries, Ecology, vol. 93, iss. 7, p. 1674–1682.
- Gillette, D. P., Fortner, A. M., Franssen, N. R., Cartwright, S., Tobler, C. M., Wesner, J., Reneau, P. C., Reneau, F. H., Schlupp, I., Marsh-Matthews, E. C., others, (2012), Patterns of change over time in darter (Teleostei: Percidae) assemblages of the Arkansas River basin, northeastern Oklahoma, USA, Ecography, vol. 35, iss. 9, p. 855–864.
- Wesner, J., (2012), Predator diversity effects cascade across an ecosystem boundary, Oikos, vol. 121, iss. 1, p. 53–60.
- Wesner, J., Cornelison, J. W., Dankmeyer, C. D., Galbreath, P. F., Martin, T. H., (2011), Growth, pH tolerance, survival, and diet of introduced northern-strain and native southern-strain Appalachian brook trout, Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, vol. 140, iss. 1, p. 37–44.
- Wesner, J., Billman, E. J., Meier, A., Belk, M. C., (2011), Morphological convergence during pregnancy among predator and nonpredator populations of the livebearing fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora (Teleostei: Poeciliidae), Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, vol. 104, iss. 2, p. 386–392.
- Wesner, J., (2011), Shoaling species drive fish assemblage response to sequential large floods in a small midwestern USA stream, Environmental biology of fishes, vol. 91, iss. 2, p. 231–242.
- Wesner, J., (2010), Aquatic predation alters a terrestrial prey subsidy, Ecology, vol. 91, iss. 5, p. 1435–1444.
- Wesner, J., (2010), Seasonal variation in the trophic structure of a spatial prey subsidy linking aquatic and terrestrial food webs: adult aquatic insects, Oikos, vol. 119, iss. 1, p. 170–178.
- Walters, A., Carr, N., Sherrill, K., Wesner, J. (2014, March). What insight can the Wyoming Basin Rapid Ecoregional Assessment provide for fisheries and aquatic habitat management in Wyoming?. Presented at the Colorado/Wyoming Chapter of the American Fisheries Association, Laramie, WY.
- Kraus, J. M., Walters, D. M., Wesner, J., Stricker, C. A., Schmidt, T. S., Zuellig, R. E. (2013, November). Metamorphosis in insects alters contaminant transfer, diet tracers and risk to wildlife. Presented at the Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN.
- Wesner, J., Kraus, J. M., Schmidt, T. S., Walters, D. M., Clements, W. H. (2013, November). The role of metamorphosis in regulating metal flux from aquatic to terrestrial food webs. Presented at the Entomological Society of America, Austin, TX, USA.
- Wesner, J. (2013, October). The terrestrial impact of stream pollution and fish species loss.