Organic Chemistry, Advanced Organic Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Spectroscopic Analysis
The goal of our research is to provide tools for and insights into two technologically important problems: energy conversion (for example, solar cells and lithium batteries) and drug development. One of our strategies is to utilize the unique properties of organofluorine compounds as tools for improving materials properties and function. You will find more information about our research on our group webpage. We welcome talent at all levels--undergraduates, graduates, postdocs, and visiting scholars--to join us in solving energy and medicinal problems faced by our society. Our research program provides comprehensive training for students in the fields of organic, fluorine, and materials chemistry. Students working in our group will gain practical experience in synthesis, separation, and characterization of various materials ranging from small organic molecules to metal nanoparticles. We value students’ professional development and aim to prepare them for future success.
- Ph D, Chemistry, Jilin University, 1996
- BS, Chemistry, Jilin University, 1990
- Mottishaw, J., Cheng, H., Karasiev, V., Fan, Q., Sun, H., Kilin, D., (2014), Elucidating the role of non-radiative processes in charge transfer of model core-shell Si:SiO2 nanoparticles , Molecular Physics, vol. 112, iss. 03-04, pp. 422-429.
- Mottishaw, J. D., Sun, H., , (2013), Effects of Aromatic Trifluoromethylation, Fluorination, and Methylation on Intermolecular p–p Interactions, J. Phys. Chme. A, vol. 117, p. 7970–7979.
- Wang, Z., Putta, A., Mottishaw, J. D., Wei, Q., Wang, H., Sun, H., , (2013), Molecular Origin of Isomerization Effects on Solid State Structures and Optoelectronic Properties: A Comparative Case Study of Isomerically Pure Dicyanomethylene Substituted Fused Dithiophenes, J. Phys. Chem. C, vol. 117, pp. 16759-16768.
- Sun, H., Wei, Q., (2013), Polyfluorinated Electrolyte Solutions and Additives for High Voltage Non-Flammable Lithium Batteries, ECS Transaction, vol. 50, iss. 26, pp. 349-354.
- Biffinger, J., Sun, H., DiMagno, S. G., (2013), Fluorinated Porphyrins and Corroles: Synthesis, Electrochemistry, and Applications, Fluorine in Heterocyclic Chemistry, pp. ISBN 978-3-7091-0690-7.
- Putta, A., Mottishaw, J. D., Wang, Z., Sun, H., (2013), Rational Design of Lamellar p-p Stacked Organic Crystalline Materials with Short Interplanar Distance, Cryst. Growth Des., p. DOI: 10.1021/cg401637a.
- Sun, H., Putta, A., Billion, M., (2012), Arene Trifluoromethylation: An Effective Strategy to Obtain Air-Stable n-Type Organic Semiconductors with Tunable Optoelectronic and Electron Transfer Properties, J. Phys. Chem. A , vol. 116, pp. 8015-8022 .
- Sun, H., Tottempudi, U. K., Mottishaw, J. D., Basa, . N., Putta, A., Sykes, A., (2012), Strengthening p-p Interactions While Suppressing Csp2-H•••p (T-Shaped) Interactions via Perfluoroalkylation: A Crystallographic and Computational Study That Supports the Beneficial Formation of 1-D p-p Stacked Aromatic Materials, Cryst. Growth Des. , vol. 12, pp. 5655-5662.
- Sun, H., Putta, A., Kloster, J. P., Tottempudi, U. K., (2012), Unexpected photostability improvement of aromatics in polyfluorinated solvents. , Chem. Commun. (Cambridge, U. K.), vol. 48, pp. 12085-12087.
- Sun, H., (2011), Fluorinated Aromatic Compounds and Their Preparation and Use in Optoelectronics, PCT Int. Appl., WO 2011022678 A1 20110224..
- Biffinger, J. C., Uppaluri, S., Sun, H., DiMagno, S. G., (2011), Ligand Fluorination to Optimize Preferential Oxidation of Carbon Monoxide by Water-Soluble Rhodium Porphyrins , ACS Catalysis , vol. 1, iss. 7, pp. 764-771.
- Sun, H., Koch, A. ., DiMagno, S. G., (2009), Rapid Preparation of Fluorinated Aromatic Heterocycles, ACS symposium series, ACS symposium series, vol. 1003, pp. 85-104 .
- Sun, H., Wang, B., DiMagno, S. G., (2008), A method for detecting water in organic solvents, Org. Lett. , vol. 10, pp. 4413-4416.
- Sun, H., DiMagno, S. G., (2007), Fluoride relay: a new concept for rapid preparation of anhydrous nucleophilic fluoride salts from KF, Chem. Commun. , p. 528–529.
- Sun, H., DiMagno, S. G., (2006), Room-Temperature Nucleophilic Aromatic Fluorination: Experimental and Theoretical Studies, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. , vol. 45, p. 2720–2725.
- Sun, H., DiMagno, S. G., (2005), Anhydrous Tetrabutylammonium Fluoride, J. Am. Chem. Soc. , vol. 127, p. 2050–2051.
- Sun, H., Smirnov , V. V., DiMagno, S. G., (2003), Slow Electron Transfer Rates for Fluorinated Cobalt Porphyrins: Electronic and Conformational Factors Modulating Metalloporphyrin ET, Inorg. Chem. , vol. 42, p. 6032–6040.
- Sun, H. (2013, October). Perfluoroalkylated supramolecular synthons. Presented at the 48th Midwest Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society , Springfield, MO, United States, .
- Kramer, J. H., Erck, A. R., Koppang, M., Sun, H., Putta, A., Mottishaw, J. D. (2013, October). Ferrocene tagging of amines: An alternative approach using haloferrocenes. Presented at the 48th Midwest Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Springfield, MO.
- Sun, H., Mottishaw, J. D., Putta, . (2013, September). A. Effects of aromatic perfluoroalkylation on weak non-covalent intermolecular interactions: Insight for rational design of high performance n-type organic semiconductor materials. Presented at the 246th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Indianapolis, IN, United States.
- Mottishaw, . D., Dubey, M., Kilin, D., Fan, Q. H., Sun, H. (2013, May). Calculating electronic properties of the Si:SiO2 interface using density functional theory with periodical boundary condition, 2013; pp1-6. Presented at the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology (EIT).
- Kramer, J. H., Erck, A. R., Koppang, M., Putta, A., Mottishaw, J. D., Sun, H. (2013, April). Synthesus and Electrochemical Characterization of Haloferrocenes. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the South Dakota Academy of Science, Sioux Falls, SD.
- Sun, H. (2013, January). Perfluoroalkylation strengthening lamellar p–p stacked structure in n-type organic semiconductor materials: Coherent enhancement of p–p and Csp3-FF-Csp3 interactions. Presented at the 21th winter fluorine conference.
- Sun, H., Wei, Q. (2012, October). Polyfluorinated electrolyte solutions and additives for high voltage non-flammable lithium batteries. Presented at the 222th ECS national meeting.
- Hoefelmeyer, J., Shende, R., Smirnova, A., Puszynski, J., Fong, H., Ahrenkiel, P., Koodali, R., Sereda, G., Kilin, D., Sun, H., Wang, Z., He, H. (2012, April). South Dakota Catalysis Group 12-80. Presented at the 97th Annual Meeting of the South Dakota Academy of Science, Vermillion, SD.
- Sun, H. (2011, August). Effects of direct ring fluorination and perfluoroalkylation on optical and electronic properties of aromatics . Presented at the 242nd ACS National Meeting, Denver, CO, United States.
- Sun, H., Tottempudi, U. K., Yang, C. (2011, August). Synthesis, characterization, and proton affinity of electron deficient phenanthrolines . Presented at the 242nd ACS National Meeting, Denver, CO, United States.
- Sun, H., Putta, A., Kloster, J., Billion, M., Mottishaw, J. (2011, January). Improve photostability of organic semiconductor materials via perfluoroalkylation. Presented at the 20th Winter Fluorine Conference, St. Pete Beach, FL, United States.
- Sun, H., Billion, M. (2010, August). Tuning optical and electronic properties of arene-based organic semiconductors via perfluoroalkylation. Presented at the 240th ACS National Meeting, Boston, MA, United States, August 22-26, 2010 (2010).
- Sun, H., Putta, A., Kloster, J. (2010, August). Synthesis of air-stable, moisture-resistant, and tunable perfluoroalkylated arenes for optoelectronics. Presented at the 240th ACS National Meeting, , Boston, MA, United States.