Communication Studies, College of Arts & Sciences
UB Beacom Hall 217
- Ph D, Communication Studies, The University of Iowa, 2007
- MA, Communication Studies, The University of Iowa, 1989
- BA, Theater Arts/Business Management, Simpson College, 1983
- Tyler, J., (2010), Media clubs: Social class and the shared interpretations of media texts, Southern Journal of Communication.
- Tyler, J., (2009), The future of relational communication: Interrogating the social, economic, and financial forces that influence personal and social relationships, Kentucky Journal of Communication.
- Tyler, J., (2008), Friendship, talk and taste: The interpretation of books in social networks, Cambridge University Press.
Awards and Honors:
- Msgr James Doyle Humanities Teaching Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Humanities Division of the College of Arts and Sciences, the University of South Dakota, 2009
- Davison, J., Tyler, J., McKay-Semmler, K., Sternadori, M. (2012, October). Fifty Shades of Grey Panel -- Psychology of Relationships and Writing in the Trilogy. Presented at the Women's Research Conference , University of South Dakota.
- Tyler, J. (2012, April). “Modern Love: Health Narratives and Personal Relationships” . Presented at the Medical Humanities, Boston, Massachusetts.