Communication Studies, College of Arts & Sciences
UB Beacom Hall 217
Jill Tyler (PhD, University of Iowa) is Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Communication Studies at the University of South Dakota.
Interpersonal Communication, Heatlh Communication, Popular Culture/Cultural Studies, Family Communication, Communication Research, and Communication Theory
Dr. Tyler studies adult friendships and social networks as they are constituted through societal structures, with a particular focus on intersections of relational communication, health, technology, and social class.
- Ph D, Communication Studies, The University of Iowa, 2007
- MA, Communication Studies, The University of Iowa, 1989
- BA, Theater Arts/Business Management, Simpson College, 1983
- Tyler, J., Social Networks - Old and New (It's Complicated, Together Alone, Personal Connections in the Digital Age), Journal of Communication - Wiley Publishing.
- Tyler, J., (2014), Media Clubs: Social Class and Critical Media Studies, pp. 80-97.
- Tyler, J., Hearns, MD, V., Wallenberg, B., Hall, MD, J., Bertsch, K., (2014), Asthma Exacerbation (Adult), Blended Simulation, MedEd Portal Publications.
- Tyler, J., (2010), Media clubs: Social class and the shared interpretations of media texts, Southern Journal of Communication.
- Tyler, J., (2009), The future of relational communication: Interrogating the social, economic, and financial forces that influence personal and social relationships, Kentucky Journal of Communication.
- Tyler, J., (2008), Friendship, talk and taste: The interpretation of books in social networks, Cambridge University Press.
Awards and Honors:
- Msgr James Doyle Humanities Teaching Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Humanities Division of the College of Arts and Sciences, the University of South Dakota, 2009
- Prentice, C., Tyler, J. (2014, November). "That Woman who Married my Brother!"; The Problematic Sibling-in-Law's Influence on Adult Sibling Closeness. Presented at the Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Ward, S. K., Rognstad, L. B. (2014, October). Transforming an Advising Culture: Evidence of a Professional Advising Model's Effect on First Year Retention. Presented at the NACADA 2014, Minneapolis.
- Tyler, J. (2014, February). Teaching and Assessing Patient-Centered Communication to First Year Medical Students. Presented at the Becker Memorial Conference on Communication & Health, Iowa City, Iowa.
- Davison, J., Tyler, J., McKay-Semmler, K., Sternadori, M. (2012, October). Fifty Shades of Grey Panel -- Psychology of Relationships and Writing in the Trilogy. Presented at the Women's Research Conference , University of South Dakota.
- Tyler, J. (2012, April). “Modern Love: Health Narratives and Personal Relationships” . Presented at the Medical Humanities, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Tyler, J. (2011, November). "Real Simple: the voice that calls to us from the coffee table." Women and Media: A Critical Analysis of Women’s Magazines.. Presented at the National Convention, New Orleans, LA.
- Tyler, J. (2011, November). “Mind, self and facebook” Symbolic Interactionism. . Presented at the National Convention, New Orleans, LA.
- Tyler, J. (2011, March). "Digital Parenting". Presented at the Roundtable on Language and Linguistics, Washington, D.C..
- Tyler, J. (2010, November). “Social class and marriage” Critical Approaches to Relational Communication. Presented at the National Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Tyler, J. (2010, April). “Two and a Half Mad Men of a Certain Age” .