First in South Dakota
The Department of Computer Science - the very first in South Dakota - provides a high-quality degree program at the undergraduate and graduate level. We maintain high academic standards through a curriculum designed to focus on the theory and practice of computer science, as well as new and exciting technologies.
- We continue to develop relationships with major technology companies in the region.
- We are just the right size: big enough to provide a very competitive program, but small enough for students to have easy access to the faculty.
- We are a leader in delivering a powerful network environment to students.
- We maintain our own Computational Facilities, classrooms, student laboratories, and the Computer Science Research Lab.
- We are a longtime participant in the Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance, various academic initiatives with Oracle as well as the IBM Academic Initiative.
- We manage about 200 workstations, including PCs, Unix workstations, thin-client Sunrays, and laptop computers. Classrooms are wired and we participate in USD's wireless network. Students are not required to have their own computer.
Every student at USD is provided a single computer account for accessing all computer and network resources (available 24/7). The computer accounts provide network data storage, web-based email, the ability to build your own home page, and access to online course materials.
Opportunities for students in computer-related employment are numerous at USD and in the surrounding community:
- The department hires a number of students to work in our computer labs.
- We offer technology and research fellowships to qualified students.
- USD's IT department hires students to work in various divisions, including campus networking.
- Many academic departments use Computer Science students to develop and maintain web pages.
- Several department Scholarships are available to those who study Computer Science.
Some of the areas that attract our students are software development, database development and management, networking and IT management. Also, our graduates go on to do advanced Graduate Work here at USD or other universities around the country.
Our Grads Go Places!
See our Careers Page for examples of some the positions our alumni have occupied.
Research is of paramount importance in our program. Check out our Research Initiatives.
Our students have access to three computer science-oriented Organizations on campus.
Want to Know More?
Submit an Information Request Form and we will mail you a customized information packet.