Barbara Berggren Stewart Memorial Scholarship
In memory of Barbara Berggren Stewart, an endowed scholarship has been established within the USD Foundation by Robert Stewart, to be used primarily for the benefit of students enrolled in the Media & Journalism Department (Journalism specialization) at the University of South Dakota.
Barbara Berggren was born on October 8, 1911, in Swea City, Iowa. Moving to Lead, SD, in 1927, she attended Lead High School, graduating in 1929. While at Lead High School, she was editor of the school newspaper, Nugget.
Barbara attended the University of South Dakota from 1929 to 1933, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree from the College of Arts and Sciences on July 14, 1933. While attending USD she served as president of Alpha Phi Sorority, a member of the Alpha Chi Alpha Journalism Society, and was editor of The Volante, the Scribbler and the Wet Hen.
After attending USD, Barbara taught for three years in the Lead, SD public schools. She married Robert Stewart on November 10, 1936, and they had two children. Barbara was active in school and civic affairs, and maintained her interest in journalism throughout her life.
- Applicants must be enrolled in USD and meet all departmental and program requirements.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are majoring in Media & Journalism with a declared specialization in Journalism and who are good academic students.
- The students should have good GPA's, generally at least 3.0, but not necessarily the top students.
- They must be ambitious individuals and of good moral character.
- Applicant's financial need will be taken into account, but will not be the sole determining factor.
- USD's equal opportunity guidelines will be observed. ("No person, in whatever relationship with the University of South Dakota, shall be subject to discrimination on the basis of age, creed, color, handicap, national origin, race, religion, gender, marital or veteran status.")