Contemporary Media & Journalism, College of Arts & Sciences
UNM Al Neuharth Media Center 211
Native of Topeka, KS; moved to SD 25 years ago; taught at Univ. of Sioux Falls for 10 years; adjunct at USD for two years; full-time faculty in CMJ for one year; Ph.D. in English and Creative Nonfiction, May 2013; lecturer in CMJ beginning fall semester, 2013.
Newswriting, print and broadcast Writing across formats/platforms Audio production Broadcast performance Literarary journalism Journalism history
Literary journalism Intersections of journalism and literature Manifestations of literature, art, history in pop culture Journalists as creative writers Women in media Journalism history
- Ph D, English/Creative Non-Fiction , University of South Dakota , 2013
- MA, English/Creative Writing , University of South Dakota , 1991
- BS, Journalism and Mass Communications--Print/Editorial, Kansas State University , 1979
- USD Course Redesign Fellowship , USD Center for Teaching and Learning , (2014 - 2014)
Awards and Honors:
- Honorable Mention Awards for News Broadcast, Writing, General Reporting, Feature Writing, Audio Production, Series/Documentary and Spot News , South Dakota Associated Press, Radio and Television , 2008
- Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society , Department of English, 2006
- First Place Award for Audio Production , South Dakota Associated Press, Radio and Television , 2005
- Regional Edward R. Murrow Award for Writing and Reporting, Radio and Television Digital News Association , 2005
- First Place Award for Spot News , South Dakota Associated Press, Radio and Television , 1999
- First Place Award for Series/Documentary, South Dakota Associated Press, Radio and Television , 1998
- Eta Sigma Phi, National Classics Honor Society , USD Dept. of History and Classics, 1995
- Davison, J. "Home After Dark," an excerpt from my dissertation of the same title. . Presented at the USD Idea Fest/Graduate Research Showcase, USD, Vermillion .
- Davison, J. (2012, October). Revising creative nonfiction writing . Presented at the Sorcerer's Apprentice Writing Camp , Vermillion, SD .
- Davison, J., Tyler, J., McKay-Semmler, K., Sternadori, M. (2012, October). Fifty Shades of Grey Panel -- Psychology of Relationships and Writing in the Trilogy. Presented at the Women's Research Conference , University of South Dakota.
- Davison, J. (2011, October). Revising creative nonfiction . Presented at the Sorcerer's Apprentice Writing Camp, Vermillion .