Jim Burt Memorial Scholarship
In memory of Jim Burt, an endowed scholarship fund has been established within the University of South Dakota Foundation to be used for the benefit of undergraduate students pursuing a degree in the Department of Contemporary Media & Journalism at USD.
The endowed fund, established by Cheri and Dan Osborn and Linda and Gary Haugen in December 1994, is to be known as the "Jim Burt Memorial Scholarship for Broadcast Journalism Endowment."
Jim Burt was a veteran of nearly 50 years in the broadcasting and sportscasting field, serving as Sports Director for KELO-LAND television for 42 years, beginning with its first day of operation in 1953. He was the "voice of the Coyotes" for 25 years until 1977, broadcasting play-by-play for the University of South Dakota sports on KELO Radio. He broadcast or telecast every South Dakota boys basketball tournament from 1948 to 1982, was named South Dakota Sportscaster of the Year seven times, was inducted into the USD Athletic Hall of Fame and was recipient of the Distinguished Service and Sportscaster of the Year Awards from the South Dakota High School Activities Association. His career embodied the highest ideals of service to the public, and particularly the young people of South Dakota and the University of South Dakota.
The award will be made to a single individual each year, based on the following criteria:
- Applicants must be enrolled in USD, and have a declared major in Contemporary Media & Journalism and meet all departmental and undergraduate program requirements.
- Preference will be given to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Students who are athletes. This preference will be broadly interpreted by the committee, to include male or female students involved in intercollegiate or intramural sports.
- Students who are planning a career in broadcast journalism, as opposed to other areas of emphasis, such as advertising or public relations.
- Applicant's financial need will be taken into account, but will not be the sole determining factor.
- USD's equal opportunity guidelines will be observed. ("No person, in whatever relationship with the University of South Dakota, shall be subject to discrimination on the basis of age, creed, color, handicap, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status.")