Events, Activities & Resources
- Our department arranges monthly colloquia in which faculty members and graduate students present work in progress.
- Several times each year, we sponsor visits by nationally recognized scholars who give public lectures on campus and meet informally with graduate students in English.
- Creative writers from around the country regularly do readings on campus.
- Readings by local writers are organized by the Vermillion Literary Project, a literary organization based in the English Department.
- Every other year the English Department hosts a visiting writer for an extended stay.
- The John R. Milton Writers' Conference, with both a scholarly focus and a creative writing focus, also takes place once every two years under the English Department's sponsorship.
- The USD Theatre and Music Departments are large and active, presenting numerous performances each semester.
- The Art Department sponsors an ongoing series of exhibitions.
- The National Music Museum, which houses one of the most significant collections of historical musical instruments in the world, organizes frequent concerts, featuring both regional talent and internationally known performers.
- As the flagship institution in the South Dakota state university system, USD is home to the largest library in the state. With over half a million bound volumes, a rich collection of materials in other media, and excellent access to electronic resources, USD's library system offers plentiful opportunities for research at the graduate level.
- The South Dakota Oral History Center, which houses the South Dakota Oral History Project and the Joseph Harper Cash Memorial Library, is located in the same building as the English Department. This extraordinary collection of audio, video, and print materials is invaluable to those interested in the history and cultural life of the Native Americans of this region.
- The University's computer and technology resources are among the best in the region. The Center for Instructional Design and Delivery offers hands-on training and support for the use of technology in the classroom. Individualized help with computers is available by phone and email. The University has five on-campus computing labs, featuring both PCs and Macintosh computers for student use.
The Vermillion Community
- USD is located in the center of Vermillion, South Dakota, a small college town on the bluffs above the Missouri River in southeastern South Dakota. Vermillion is a pleasant, relaxed community with a range of recreational and entertainment options.
- The cost of living is very reasonable by national standards, and a variety of affordable housing possibilities is readily available.
- Vermillion's safe environment and convenient size make it ideal for families with children; Vermillion also has a strong school system for children in grades kindergarten through twelve.
- Vermillion is less than an hour's drive from Sioux Falls (the state's largest city) and from Sioux City, Iowa. Both of these urban centers have national airports and offer an abundance of cultural opportunities as well as extensive shopping. Omaha is two hours away by car. Minneapolis, Kansas City, and the scenic Black Hills of South Dakota are about six hours away.