Dan Van Peursem
Dan Van Peursem
Mathematics, College of Arts & Sciences
UD Dakota Hall 334
I am a lifetime resident of the Midwest and have been an educator my whole life. My first collegiate position was here at USD in 1997 and have been here ever since. I have served as the Mathematical Sciences Department Chair since 2004. Dr. Van Peursem enjoys maintaining student interaction through his courses.
For the past several years I have been teaching our introductory calculus I and II courses. It is my hope to recruit strong math majors into the field that are interested in careers in mathematics.
My original dissertation area was in the analytical modeling of ground water flow. Specifically ground water remediation systems using vertical recirculation wells. As of recently, I have been more interested in mathematical modeling in biology and ecology with population dynamics and the spread of diseases.
- Ph D, Applied Mathematics, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1997
- MA, Mathematics, The University of South Dakota, 1992
- BA, Mathematics, Northwestern College, 1989
- Funds to support Undergraduate Math Conference, MAA (Mathematical Association of America), (2014 - 2014)
- Finishing what we have begun: Improving success in mathematics at USD, South Dakota BOR, (2013 - 2013)
- Jensen, S., Van Peursem, D., (2013), Controlling Plague Among Prairie Dogs: A Two Colony Eppidemiological Model, Transactions on Biology and Biomedicine/ WSEAS, vol. 10, iss. 3, pp. 67-78.
- Henneman, K., Van Peursem, D., Huber, V., (2013), Mathematical modeling of influenza and a secondary bacterial infection, Transactions on Biology and Biomedicine / WSEAS, vol. 10, iss. 1, pp. 1-11.
- Van Peursem, D., Keller, C., Pietrzak, D., Wagner, C., Bennett, C., (2012), A COMPARISON OF PERFORMANCE AND ATTITUDES BETWEEN STUDENTS ENROLLED IN COLLEGE ALGEBRA VS. QUANTITATIVE LITERACY, Mathematics and Computer Education , vol. 46, iss. 2, pp. 107-118.
- Georgescu, C., Van Peursem, D., (2009), Dynamics of a Population Model Controlling the Spread of Plague in Prairie Dogs., Recent Advances in Applied Mathematics and Computational and Information Sciences, vol. 1.
Awards and Honors:
- Honorary Member of Golden Key, USD Golden Key Honor Society, 2012
- Van Peursem, D. (2012, March). Math Emporium. Presented at the MAA Sectional Meeting, Freemont, NE.
- Georgescu, C., Van Peursem, D. (2009, November). Dynamics of a population model.. Presented at the NEIU -Chicago Department of Mathematics Seminar, Northeastern Illinois University.
- Georgescu, C., Van Peursem, D. (2009, April). Dynamics of a population model controlling the spread of plague in prairie dogs.. Presented at the 15th American International Conference on Applied Mathematics, Houston.
- Georgescu, C., Van Peursem, D. (2009, April). Dynamics of a population model. Presented at the Nebraska/SE South Dakota Section of MAA, Hastings College, Hastings, NE.