I arrived USD in 1989. I am originally from Chile. “Chile lies at the end of all roads, a lance to the south of the south of America, four thousand three hundred kilometers of hills, valleys, lakes, and sea.” (Isabel Allende)
Mathematical Modeling, Linear Algebra, Foundations of Mathematics, Numerical Analysis, Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations and Teaching Mathematics using Technology (Maple and Matlab).
Mathematical Ecology, Mathematical Modeling applied to Population Dynamics, Scientific Computing, Ecological Networks, Biodiversity in polluted environments.
- Ph D, Mathematics (Numerical Analysis) , The University of Iowa, 1990
- MS, Mathematics, The University of Iowa, 1984
- Magister, Matematicas, Universidad Tecnica del Estado, 1977
- BS, Mathematics, Universidad de Chile, 1973
- Creating New Undergraduate Research Mentors at the University of South Dakota, USD Bush Mini-Grant Program, (1996 - 1996)
- Garay-Narvaez, L., Arim, M., Flores, J., Ramos-Jiliberto, R., (2013), The more polluted the environment, the more important biodiversity is for food web stability, OIKOS.
- Valdovinos, F., Moisset de Espanes, P., Flores, J., Ramos-Jiliberto, R., (2013), Adaptive foraging allows the maintenance of biodiversity of pollination networks in spite of nestedness, OIKOS.
- Gonzalez-Olivares, E., Gonzalez-Yanez, B., Mena-Lorca, J., Flores, J., (2013), Uniqueness of limit cycles and multiple attractors in a Gause-type predator-prey model with nonmonotonic functional response and Allee effect on prey, Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering, vol. 10, iss. 2.
- Leung, M., Marchand, M., Stykel, S., Huynh, M., Flores, J., (2012), The Effect of Localized Oil Spills on the Atlantic Loggerhead Turtle Population Dynamics, Open Journal of Ecology, vol. 2, iss. 3, pp. 109-114.
- Ramos-Jiliberto, R., Valdovinos, F., Moisset de Espanes, P., Flores, J., (2012), Topological plasticity increases robustness of mutualistic networks, Journal of Animal Ecology, vol. 81, iss. 4, pp. 896-904.
- Flores, J., Gonzalez-Olivares, E., (2012), A predator-prey model with ratio-dependent functional response and strong Allee effect on prey., Recent Advances in Fluid Mechanics, Heat & Mass Transfer and Biology.
- Gonzalez-Olivares, E., Gonzalez-Yanez, B., Rojas-Palma, A., Mena-Lorca, J., Flores, J., (2011), Consequences of double Allee effect on the number of limit cycles in a predator-prey model, Computer and Mathematics with Applications.
- Gonzalez-Olivares, E., Mena-Lorca, J., Rojas-Palma, A., Flores, J., (2010), Dynamical complexity in the Leslie-Grower predator-prey model as consequences of the Allee effect on prey, Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 35, iss. 1, pp. 366-381.
- Valdovinos, F., Ramos-Jiliberto, R., Flores, J., Espinoza, C., Lopez, G., (2009), Structure and dynamics of pollination networks: the role of alien plants, OIKOS, vol. 118, iss. 8, pp. 1190-1200.
- Ramos, C., Simonetti, J., Flores, J., Ramos-Jiliberto, R., (2008), Modeling the management of fragmented forests. Is it possible to recover the original tree composition? The case of the Maulino forest in Central Chile.” , Journal of Forest Ecology and management, vol. 7, iss. 255, pp. 236-2243.
- Ramos-Jiliberto, R., Mena-Lorca, J., Flores, J., Morales, W., (2008), Role of Inducible Defenses in the Stability of a Tritrophic System, Ecological Complexity, vol. 5, iss. 2, pp. 183-192.
Awards and Honors:
- Presidential award for excellence in sciences, mathematics, and engineering mentoring to MTBI, The Mathematical and Theoretical Biology Institute, Arizona State University, AZ, 2011
- Harrington Lecture, USD College of Arts and Sciences, 2008
- Fulbright Senior Specialist, Institute of International Education, 2008
- Richard and Sharon Cutler Faculty Award in Liberal Arts, College of Arts and Sciences, 2006
- Teacher of the Year, USD Student Association , 1996
- Kelley, B., Flores, J., Svien, L., Swanson, D. Becoming a Fulbright Scholar. Presented at the The strategies and Success:, USD.
- Flores, J. (2013, April). A Tale of two Models. Presented at the Mathematics on the Northern Plains: Undergraduate research conference, Sioux Falls, SD.
- Flores, J. (2012, November). Consequences of a Double Allee effect in predator-prey model with ratio-dependent functional response. Presented at the BIOMAT-2012. 12th International Symposium on Mathematical and Computational Biology , Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
- Flores, J. (2012, August). Bifurcation analysis of a predator-prey model with ratio-dependent functional response. Presented at the VIII SEMBIOMAT 2012, Huaraz, Peru.
- Flores, J. (2012, June). A Gause predator-prey model with double Allee effect on prey and ratio-dependent functional response. Presented at the BIOCOMP-2012 Conference: mathematical Modeling and Computational Topics in Biosciences, Vietri Sul Mare, Italy.
- Flores, J. (2011, June). A predator-prey model with ratio-dependent functional response and strong Allee effect on prey. Presented at the Heterogeneity and Ecologies: delay and partial differential equations, bifurcations and optimal control in epidemiology, Santiago, Chile.
- Flores, J. (2010, July). A ratio-dependent predator-prey model with Allee effect on the prey. Presented at the Join Conference SMB/BIOMAT , Rio de janeiro, Brazil.
- Flores, J. (2010, June). Dynamical complexities in the Leslie-Gower predator-prey model as consequence of the Allee effect on prey. Presented at the MTBI seminar , ASU, Tempe, AZ..