- There is hereby established at University of South Dakota the Allene R. Chiesman Fund for Civic Education for the purpose of promoting civic education with special attention to creating a greater awareness of the meaning of democracy and democratic ideals, to the role of law and the nature of citizenship in a democratic society, and to the relationship of economics and democracy.
- In furtherance of its civic education goals, the Fund is authorized to:
- Support research addressing the issues of citizenship and civic education.
- Fund research and studies on the on-going problems of American democracy, including but not limited to economic and social problems.
- Fund studies of issues concerning the Constitution of the United States in particular and the legal systems in the United States in general.
- Sponsor studies of public policies with particular focus on policies relating to the role of citizens in our political system and consumers in our economic system.
- Support the publication of material produced through the aid of the Fund.
- Provide awards for contests promoting civic education.
- Make grants to organizations promoting civic education (for example, Boy's and Girl's State).
- Support conferences, meetings, and forums designed to educate people about civic education matters.
- Work with educational institutions to develop civic education materials and programs for students at all levels.
- Coordinate activities of the Fund with other organizations and institutions for the purpose of maximizing efforts to promote Fund goals.
- To oversee Fund activities, the President of the university shall appoint a Fund Director and an advisory committee.
- Unless approved by the donor or the Board of Directors of the Chiesman Foundation for Democracy, only interest on Fund principal can be used to support Fund activities.
- To help defray administrative costs associated with the Fund, the Fund is authorized to expend annually not to exceed 15% of the current year's revenue for administrative purposes.
- The Fund is authorized to receive other revenues given to support Fund purposes.