Management, Marketing and Business Law, School of Business
UB Beacom Hall 331
Dr. Barney received his Ph.D. in Business Administration from New Mexico State University. His prior education was in information systems where he earned a Bachelor of Arts with Honors from Utah State University and a Master of Information Systems Management from Brigham Young University. Prior to academia, Dr. Barney worked in both private corporate and state government technology positions.
Organizational Behavior & Human Resource Management
Main research focus is on how job insecurity impacts employee deviance in the workplace. Other areas of research include core self-evaluation, daylight saving time, consumer behavior, and storytelling.
- Ph D, Management - Organizational Behavior, New Mexico State University, 2013
- MISM, Management Information Systems, Brigham Young University, 2003
- BA, Business Information Systems with Honors, Utah State University, 2001
- Clark, B., Barney, C. E., Reddington, T., (2015), The Ethical Implications of Using Genetic Information in Personnel Selection, Ethics & Behavior. (DOI: 10.1080/10508422.2014.999918)
- Payne, C. R., Niculescu, M., Barney, C. E., (2014), Consumer Consumption Intentions of Smaller Packaged Snack Variants, International Journal of Consumer Studies.
- Elias, S. M., Gibson, L., Barney, C. E., (2013), The Role of Social Power in Sexual Harassment and Job Discrimination., NYU Press, pp. 178 - 194.
- Elias, S. M., Barney, C. E., Bishop, J. W., (2013), The Treatment of Self-Efficacy among Psychology and Management Scholars., Journal of Applied Social Psychology., vol. 43, iss. 4, pp. 811 - 822. (DOI: 10.1111/jasp.12007)
- Elias, S. M., Smith, W. L., Barney, C. E., (2012), Age as a Moderator of Attitude Towards Technology in the Workplace: Work Motivation and Overall Job Satisfaction. , Behaviour & Information Technology, vol. 31, iss. 5, pp. 453 - 467. (DOI: 10.1080)
- Barney, C. E., Elias, S. M., (2010), Flex-time as a moderator of the job stress – work motivation relationship: A three nation investigation., Personnel Review, vol. 39, iss. 4, pp. 487 - 502. (DOI: 10.1108/00483481011045434)
- Hilton, T. S., Barney, C. E., Choi, H., Hur, G., (2002), Controversies in digital sound rendering, Issues in Information Systems, vol. 3, pp. 269 - 274.
- Hilton, T. S., Anderson, C., Walker, N., Barney, C. E., Choi, H., (2001), An integrative model of digital sound rendering, Issues in Information Systems, vol. 2, pp. 146 - 152.
Awards and Honors:
- Outstanding Professor for the 2013-2014 School Year, Greek Community (PHC/IFC Council), 2014
- Online Course Improvement Program Fellowship, New Mexico State University, 2013
- Outstanding Educator Award, New Mexico State University, 2011
- Gobczynski, J., Barney, C. E. (2014, October). The Gender Wage Gap: Explaining the Significance. Presented at the Allied Academies International Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Smith, W. L., Barney, C. E., Elias, S. M. (2014, April). Currency in the Classroom: The Role of Scholarly Academics. Presented at the Standing Conference for Management & Organizational Inquiry, Philadelphia, PA.
- Barney, C. E. (2013, October). The Effects of Daylight Saving time on Domestic and Global Organizations: An Historic Account.. Presented at the Mountain Plains Management Conference, Cedar City, Utah.
- Elias, S. M., Barney, C. E., Mace, B. L. (2013, April). The Role of Scenic Beauty in University Student's Satisfaction, Commitment, and Turnover Intention.. Presented at the Rocky Mountain Psychological Association Meeting, Denver, Colorado.
- Barney, C. E. (2013, March). Profiling the Strategic Management Journal: A look back to move forward.. Presented at the Western Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Barney, C. E., Elias, S. M. (2013, March). Using Generalized and MBA Self-Efficacy to Predict AACSB Competencies.. Presented at the Western Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Bishop, J. W., Turner, M. J., Elias, S. M., Barney, C. E. (2010, August). The (mis)alignment of construct names, definitions, and measures: The case of the OCQ and the ACS.. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Montréal, Canada.
- Smith, W. L., Barney, C. E., Elias, S. M. (2010, March). Academic reflexivity and AACSB criteria: Does research translate into textbook content?. Presented at the Standing Conference for Management & Organization Inquiry, Alexandria, Virginia.