Meal Plan Refund Policy and Process
The South Dakota Board of Regents requires freshmen or sophomores who live on campus to purchase a meal plan each semester. At the end of the academic year, students who wish to receive a refund for unused meal plan flex dollar funds may submit a Meal Plan Flex Dollar Refund Form.
- Request for flex dollar refunds are heard during June-July for the previous academic year's meal plan. We know students may not be in Vermillion during the summer and the review committee will work with the student to allow he/she to speak to the committee. Students submitting the requests can conference call with the committee during June/July or request the committee evaluate the appeal in August/September.
- Students participating in the refund process will have the opportunity to meet with the Meal Plan Refund Board to explain their situation and circumstances. This meeting also gives the Board an opportunity to ask questions and attain clarification about the refund request.
- If students do not agree with the decision of the Meal Plan Appeals Board, they may appeal this decision to the Dean of Students within three weeks of the board's decision.
- Successful refunds are typically based on medical or financial reasons. In both cases, the Refund Board strongly encourages the student to provide documentation confirming such status. Failure to provide documentation decreases the chances of a refund being granted. Such documentation is the student's responsibility to provide and should be included with the Refund Form.
- Students needing to provide medical documentation may attain this documentation through the Sanford Clinic Vermillion at 20 South Plum Street. A medical professional will assess previous medical documentation or provide an assessment of the student's current status. The Sanford Clinic staff are familiar with both the appeal process and the dining options available through USD Dining Services, and as such, is USD's medical partner in this appeals process.
Refunds Not Granted For
- The building in which a student lives.
- Personal convenience (i.e. money can be saved by purchasing groceries).
- Vegetarian/vegan and gluten-free options. Students and family members are encouraged to talk with USD Dining Services Executive Chef to discuss their individual nutritional needs and learn about the food options available through all of the Dining Services locations. A meeting can be arranged by calling 677-5334.
- Scholarship status. Community Advisors and Athletes on certain scholarships will not be considered for a refund.
Appeals Board Members
- Director of Food Service (or designee)
- Associate Dean of Students (or designee)
- Assistant Director of Housing (or designee)
- Student Accounts representative
- Residence Hall Government Association student representative
- Student Government Association President (or designee)
- Two (2) Community Advisors – appointed by Associate Dean of Students