A Community Advisor, commonly referred to as a CA, plays an important role in the lives of USD residents. University Housing will post the CA position vacancies on the USD Jobs, Internships, & Work Study page. Please find the link to the online application, as well as evaluation forms below.
- Applications for spring 2015 will be available on October 17, the application closes November 4 at midnight. Applications for the 2015-16 academic year will open in January 2015.
- Must have a 2.50 Cumulative GPA to apply.
- Must be a full-time USD student with a minimum of 12 undergraduate or 9 graduate credits and a maximum of 16 undergraduate or 12 graduate credits during the time of employment.
- Must have lived in a residence hall setting or other group living environment for a minimum of one semester by the date of Community Advisor
training to apply. Two or more semesters are preferred (spring hires will have
training in January, fall hires will have training in August).
- Ongoing training and professional development
- Opportunity to develop transferable leadership skills
- Having the ability to travel and attend conferences
- Residence hall room at no charge
campus meal plan at no charge
CA Application/Evaluation Form
Step 1: Complete the Application
Complete the above application. Have
one of each evaluations listed above (Housing Staff & Additional Reference)
submitted on your behalf prior to November 4, 2014.
must be completed by the application due date. Please contact the Academic and
Career Planning Center for assistance if desired.
Step 2: Attend a Mandatory Informational Meeting
All applicants are required to attend a mandatory informational meeting about the CA job. This meeting will help prepare you for the interview process as well as give insightful information about what it will be like to be a CA. Dates, times, and locations will be available each semester via the Jobs, Internships & Work Study page as well as on informational posters.
Informational meeting dates:
- Tuesday, October 28, 3 - 4 p.m. in MUC 211/211A
- Thursday, October 30, 6 - 7 p.m. in MUC 216/216A
- Sunday, November 2, 7 - 8 p.m. in MUC 216
Step 3: Attend the Individual and Group Interview Process
The group interview process will be held on designated days. Please refer to the USD Job Board for these dates and times. During the group interview, you will work with other Community Advisor candidates to complete a series of activities to allow the staff to get to know you better. If you are unable to attend the group interviews we will do our best to set up an alternate interview, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to consider your application.
Individual interviews will also take place on November 13 and 14 for spring 2015 hires. This will be a more "traditional" job interview with two or four of our current staff members (Residence Hall Directors, Graduate Assistants and CA's) and will last approximately 30 minutes.
All communication will happen via the email address provided on your application.
Step 4: Wait for Notification
After completing the application and interview process, it is just a matter of waiting. The process will take a few weeks. If you are selected, you will be contacted by a member of the University Housing staff with additional details.