Bachelor of General Studies
The Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) is designed to accommodate students who have accumulated significant college credit (60 credit hours minimum) and who want to complete a baccalaureate degree.
The BGS degree is available online, on-campus in Vermillion, at University Center in Sioux Falls, S.D., at University Center - Rapid City in Rapid City, S.D., and at Capital University Center in Pierre, S.D.
Students must complete 30 credit hours from the University of South Dakota (USD), delivered in any form, at any location. The number of USD credit hours earned immediately preceding attainment of the degree must be 15 of the last 30 credit hours. Moreover, a minimum of 32 semester hours of credit in courses numbered 300 or above is required. Students must complete or have completed USD's general education requirements (30 credit hours), 12 credits of institutional credit hours, plus 45 credits in three areas of emphasis (15 credits in each area) selected by the student and advisor and approved by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Areas include:
- Allied Health (ADS, CLS, DCOM, DHGY, HSC, NURS, SOCW)
- Business (ACCT, BADM, ECON, ENTR, HSAD)
- Education (EDER, EDFN, ELED, EPSY, INED, LIBM, MLED, SEED, SPED)
- Fine Arts (ART, ARTD, ARTH, INTA, MUAP, MUEN, MUS, THEA)
- Humanities (ARTH, CLHU, ENGL, HIST, LING, MCOM, NATV, PHIL, REL, SPCM, WMST, any non-English language)
- Social Science (AIS, ANTH, CJUS, DCOM, ECON, HIST, MCOM, MSL, NATV, POLS, PSYC, SOC, SPCM)
- Science, Engineering and Mathematics (ANAT, BIOL, CHEM, ESCI, MATH, MICR, MTRO, OCEN, PHGY, PHYS, STAT)
- Technology (CSC, MCOM, TET)
- Wellness (ADS, HLTH, KSS, PE, RECR)
Students may petition for the use of additional prefixes from any discipline to meet graduation requirements. Finally, a capstone course is required.
There are numerous courses available to satisfy each emphasis area:
|Online Courses||Rapid City Courses|
|Sioux Falls Courses||Pierre Courses|