Certificate in Literacy Leadership & Coaching
The Literacy Leadership and Coaching Certificate is an online and on-campus post-graduate level certificate. Reading Specialists are frequently asked to fulfill curriculum leadership and coaching roles at the district and school level. The Standards for Reading Professionals developed by the International Reading Association contains language that calls for increased attention and preparation for Reading Professionals, specifically aimed at coaching classroom teachers; improved leadership skills, and the ability to work with diverse populations. Many existing Reading Specialists will need additional training and advanced coursework to develop new skills in order to meet the new and evolving demands of the position.
The Literacy Leadership and Coaching Certificate is designed for practicing teachers who have completed the Master's Degree Elementary Education/Reading Specialist Degree, Curriculum Leaders, and/or certified Reading Specialists who are seeking to improve their skills in literacy coaching, program leadership, and working with diverse populations of students.
- Applicant must be a practicing teacher who has completed a Master's Degree in Elementary Education/Reading Specialist Degree, Curriculum Leaders, and/or certified Reading Specialists.
- Submit completed application
- Non-refundable application fee of $35 made payable to USD
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.7 or higher (on a 4.0 scale)
- Successful completion of bachelor's degree as verified by official transcripts from all higher learning attended
- Statement of purpose