Online RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The RN to BSN program at the University of South Dakota is an online program for working RN's with an Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing, designed for completion of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Degree. There are several plan of study options for completing the program. For students who want to complete the program quickly, a two semester fast track is offered. For students who prefer a slower pace, the five semester plan (two courses per semester) is ideal. A one course per semester plan is also available. Prospective students are encouraged to speak with the program advisor for guidance as needed.
Students move through the program in a cohort; cohorts begin each fall. Most students take an average of two courses per semester. The part-time options make it possible for students to work full-time while completing the program. Clinical experiences are also part of the program. These clinical experiences may be arranged where students are working or in the community where the students live.
Why Finish Your BSN?
- Hospitals with Magnet Recognition prefer to hire nurses with a BSN
- BSN is required for leadership positions
- Required for entrance into graduate education/nurse practitioner programs
- Recommended by National Organizations such as the American Nurses Association, American Organization of Nurse Executives, National Council of State Boards of Nursing, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, National League for Nursing
The baccalaureate program in Nursing at the University of South Dakota is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 887-6791. For more information about USD's Nursing program, visit the University of South Dakota's Nursing Program
In order to be considered for the RN to BSN program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Cumulative undergraduate grade point average(GPA) of 2.7 or above (on a 4.0 scale)
- Graduate of an accredited ADN or Diploma Nursing Program
- Active, unencumbered RN license to practice nursing
- Accepted to the University of South Dakota
- Successful completion of RN to BSN support coursework required in the major
- Application and acceptance to the RN to BSN program
For more information about the admission requirements, please visit Nursing Admission Policies.