Government Leadership Certificate
The 15-credit hour post-baccalaureate Government Leadership Certificate provides an educational opportunity for in-depth study and acquisition of key competencies required for effective leadership in a variety of organizations. Distance learning technologies and intensive face-to-face seminar/courses will be used to minimize time away from work.
The State Government Leadership Certificate is designed to provide interdisciplinary leadership and management skills to selected state government managers. The program focuses on a series of graduate level courses that will be delivered by faculty from the University of South Dakota. The courses will be delivered face-to-face and online and will meet a series of desired competencies for state government managers, as outlined by the South Dakota Bureau of Personnel.
The five-course sequence is structured to support leadership development in key areas of the Governor's Managerial Competency Model (People, Taking Care of Business, Customer Care, and Allocating Resources).
- Enrollment is restricted to State of South Dakota government officials who have applied to and been approved for the certificate program through the state. For more information, please contact the Bureau of Human Resources by phone at 605-773-3148 or by E-Mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants must possess a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Required Courses (15 credit hours)
- SPCM 587: Team Building and Group Decision Making
- SPCM 754: Managerial Communication
- BADM 592: Special Topics: Leadership and Ethics
- POLS 724: Organization and Management
- POLS 592: Special Topics: Leadership Capstone