Teach for America
The University of South Dakota's Customized Master's Degree will build on the core post-secondary knowledge, curriculum and support infrastructure crafted by Teach for America (TFA). The Master of Arts in Educational Administration, Pre K-12 Principal program will draw upon the best available theory, research, and experiential wisdom. This program will meet the state certificate requirements for principals and will lead to South Dakota certification. South Dakota principal certification may be transferred to meet school administrator requirements in other states. Students wanting to transfer South Dakota principal certification must contact their respective State Department of Education. Again, the program will complement the training and support that TFA provides, offering Corps members additional skills in curriculum development, leadership, supervision, and administrative skills necessary to meet the needs of schools.
Upon completion of the online Master of Arts in Educational Administration, including the accompanying field-based internship and three years of licensed class room teaching experience, Corps Members will be eligible for South Dakota Pre K-12 Principal certification.
For more information about the USD Customized Master's degree, please contact Matt Hammer at Matt.L.Hammer@usd.edu or 605-677-6240. Once accepted to the program, students will work with their advisor, Dr. Mark Baron.
Required Core Courses (18 credit hours)
|Course Title||Course Rotation|
|EDAD 710: Elementary School Administration (3 cr.)||
Every Spring, Every Summer
|EDAD 711: Secondary School Administration (3 cr.)||
Every Spring, Every Summer
|EDAD 715: The Administrator & Instructional Supervision (3 cr.)||
|EDAD 716: The Administrator & Curriculum Development (3 cr.)||
|EDAD 735: School Law (3 cr.)||
|EDAD 794: Internship/Field Experience (3 cr.)||
Other Required Courses (14 credit hours):
Courses are offered as part of the Teach for America Summer Institute:
|EDAD 792: Special Topics: School Climate and Culture (3 cr.)|
|EDAD 792: Special Topics: Administration of Curriculum Development (3 cr.)|
|EDAD 790: TFA Teaching as Leadership Framework (5 cr.)||Register Now
|EDAD 740: School Community Relations (3 cr.)||
Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the Graduate School and specific requirements of the Educational Administration program. Graduate School requirements can be accessed online at Graduate School Application.
To be eligible for the Master of Arts degree in Educational Administration, applicants must:
- Provide documentation of acceptance to the TFA program.
- One year teaching experience is required for full admission. TFA members who have do not have one year of teaching experience will be admitted provisionally.
- USD will recognize the alternative certification that TFA candidates receive from their respective State Department of Education as entrance to the program.
- Possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning and an undergraduate GPA of at least 2.7 (on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent (2.5 for provisional admission)
- Provide official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning
- Provide three letters of recommendation
- Provide a Statement of Purpose
For more information about the customized Master of Arts in Educational Administration, please contact the Division of Continuing & Distance Education at email@example.com or 800-233-7937.