Counseling and Psychology in Education: Counseling, School of Education
UED Delzell Education Center 209F
Dr. Jorgensen is an Assistant Professor in the Counseling Program. She is a Licensed Independent Mental Health Provider (NE) and a Nationally Certified Counselor. She has practiced as a licensed professional counselor since 2006 and maintains a current caseload.
Teaching interests include clinical mental health courses, research courses, and related curriculum.
Research interests include professional identity development, research identity development, scale development, emotional intelligence, and psychology of sport.
- Ph D, Counselor Education and Supervision, University of South Dakota, 2012
- MS, Community Counseling, University of Nebraska at Kearney, 2006
- BS, Psychology, University of Nebraska at Kearney, 2004
- Jorgensen, M., Duncan, K., (2015), A grounded theory of master’s-level counselor research identity, Counselor Education and Supervision .
- Chasek, C., Jorgensen, M., Maxon, T., (2012), Assessing counseling student’s attitudes regarding substance abuse and treatment. , Journal of Addictions and Offender Counseling, vol. 33, pp. 107-114.
- Flynn, S., Chasek, C., Harper, I., Murphy, K., Jorgensen, M., (2012), Initiating, managing, and completing the dissertation in counselor education., Counselor Education and Supervision, vol. 51.
- Flynn, S., Duncan, K., Jorgensen, M., (2012), An emergent phenomenon of American Indian post-secondary transition and retention., Journal of Counseling and Development, vol. 90.
- Jorgensen, M., (2011), Review of the book Suicide: Focault, history and truth, by Ian Marsh, Counseling Today, vol. 53.
Awards and Honors:
- Nominated for Belbas-Larson Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of South Dakota, 2014
- Faculty "Of the Week" Award, Central Washington University, 2013
- Wockenfuss, K., Jorgensen, M. (2015, March). A Silent Minority: Therapists' Characteristics and Working with Male Sexual Assault Survivors. Presented at the American Counseling Association, Orlando, FL.
- Jorgensen, M., Bode, L., Erdmann, T., Solsaa, S., Wockenfuss, K. (2014, October). Promoting Authentic Social Justice Through Developing a Research-Orientation in Master's-Level Counseling Students. Presented at the North Central Assocation of Counselor Education and Supervision, St. Louis, MO.
- Wockenfuss, K., Jorgensen, M. (2013, October). A silent minority: Working with male sexual assault survivors. Presented at the Association of Counselor Education and Supervision , Denver, CO.
- Jorgensen, M. (2013, October). The Research Identity Scale. Presented at the Association of Counselor Education and Supervision, Denver, CO.
- Jorgensen, M., Dalsing, M. (2013, March). Understanding the concept and development of research identity within master's-level counselor. Presented at the American Counseling Association, Cincinnati, OH.
- Jorgensen, M. (2012, November). Fostering a bright future through facilitating a research identity in counselors. Presented at the Western Association of Counselor Education and Supervision, Portland, OR.