Counseling and Psychology in Education: Counseling, School of Education
UED Delzell Education Center 209
Associate professor in the Counselor Education Program at the University of South Dakota. Practiced as a Mental Health Counselor in various settings since 1999.
Teach primarily counselor education courses with focus in clinical training courses and counseling theories.
Research focus in areas of counselor supervision, constructivist teaching methods, counselor training, and marriage.
- Ph D, Counselor Education and Supervision, Kent State University, 2004
- MA, Community Counseling, University of South Dakota, 1999
- BA, Psychology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1997
- Knezivic, B., Olson, S., (2014), Counseling those Displaced by War: Experiences of Refugees from the Former Yugoslavia, The Professional Counselor.
- Stephen, F., Olson, S., (2014), American Indian Acculturation: Tribal Lands to Predominantly White Postsecondary Setting, Journal of Counseling and Development, vol. 92, iss. 3, pp. 280-293.
- KORCUSKA, J., Olson, S., (2010), Creating constructivist courses in practica and internship, Sage Publications, Inc..
- Olson, S., Mistler, B., KORCUSKA, J., (2010), Creating constructivist courses in supervision, Sage Publications, Inc..
- Olson, S., Reed, K., Schweinle, A., (2009), Improving multicultural awareness., Journal of Inquiry & Action in Education, vol. 2, iss. 2, pp. 120-139.
- Duncan, K., Olson, S., Roseman, C., (2008), The mock career fair, Association for Specialists in Group Work.
- Olson, S., KORCUSKA, J., Paez, S., (2007), Creating narrative leagues in schools, The Professional School Counselor, vol. 10, iss. 5, pp. 520-523.
- Olson, S., (2004), Quantum change: When epiphanies and sudden insights transform ordinary lives, Counseling Today.
- Olson, S., (2004), Inappropriate group activities: “These will work”, American Counseling Association.
- Osborn, C., West, J., Bubenzer, D., Duba, J., Olson, S., (2003), Dimensions and areas for leadership, Brunner-Routledge.
- Page, B., Jencius, M., Rehfuss, M., Olson, S., Foss, L., Petruzzi, M., Dean, E., Sager, D., (2003), Paltalk on-line groups: Process and reflections on students’ experience, Journal for Specialists in Group Work, vol. 28, pp. 35-41.
Awards and Honors:
- 2011 Nomination for Belbas-Larson Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of South Dakota