Application to Teacher Education Program
Teachers shape our future.
We know that the PK-12 teachers from the University of South Dakota School of Education will positively impact the future of our Nation and World through the children and youth they teach. That is why we are committed to providing an outstanding teacher preparation program at USD.
The teacher education program at USD is an exemplary program that is accredited by the SD State Department of Education and nationally by NCATE. Our teacher education students are known for their leadership and reflective decision making skills as they meet the needs of PK-12 students. They perform well on national teaching exams, prepare outstanding electronic teaching portfolios, and participate in numerous field experiences.
Application Process to the Teacher Education Process
Education majors interested in teaching are admitted to teacher education program when they've achieved sophomore standing (completion of 32 hours), if they meet the following criteria:
- A preprofessional interview including biographical information
- Completion of an oral communication course
- Passing scores on the Pre Professional Skills Test
- Completion of the introductory course work
- Proficient in appropriate technology
- Faculty recommendations
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.6
- Satisfactory evaluation in at least one paraprofessional or field experience.
Get the Application for Teacher Education (requires valid USD username and password)
For more information please contact the Division of Curriculum and Instruction.