Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education, School of Education
UED Delzell Education Center 219C
Elementary teacher in K-12 for ten years. For five years worked as a Reading Recovery Teacher Leader training teachers and teaching children in Reading Recovery, an intervention for struggling readers. Currently work with pre-service and veteran teachers in the areas of reading instruction and assessment.
Reading Methods and Reading Intervention.
Reading methods, reading intervention, early literacy, teacher education, diverse learners.
- EDD, Curriculum and Instruction, The University of South Dakota, 2006
- MA, Elementary Education, The University of South Dakota, 1999
- BA, Elementary Education, The University of South Dakota, 1988
- Newland, L., Chen, H., Coyl-Shepherd, D., Liang, Y., Carr, E., Dykstra, E., Gapp, S., (2013), Parent and Child Perspectives on Mothering and Fathering: The Influence of Ecocultural Niches, Early Child Development and Care, vol. 183, iss. 3-4, pp. 534-552.
- Cheeseman, G., Gapp, S., (2012), Integrating Storytelling into the Mindset of Prospective Teachers of American Indian Students, Multicultural Education/Caddo Gap Press, vol. 19, iss. 4, pp. 24 -32.
- Newland, L., Gapp, S., Jacobs, G., Reisetter, M., Syed, D. C., Wu, C., , (2011), Mothers’ Beliefs and Involvement: Links with Preschool Literacy Development, The International Journal of Psychology: A Biopsychosocial Approach .
- Bosse, S., Duncan, K., Gapp, S., Newland, L., (2011), Supporting American Indian students in the transition to postsecondary education, Journal of the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, vol. 23, iss. 2, pp. 33-51.
- Pietrzak, D., Engelking, J., Reed, K., Gapp, S., Bosse, S., (2011), Motivations and Deterrents for Entering the Teaching Field in a Rural State, Journal of Inquiry and Action in Education, vol. 4, iss. 2, pp. 18-33.
- Hovland, M., Gapp, S., Theis, B., (2011), LOOK: Examing the Concept of Learning to Look at Print, Reading Improvement, vol. 48, iss. 3, pp. 128-138.
- Gapp, S., Zalud, G., Pietrzak, D., (2009), End of Intervention Reading Recoveyr Decisions and Subsequent Achievement, Reading Improvement, vol. 46, iss. 1, pp. 9-18.
- Gapp, S., Zalud, G., Pietrzak, D., (2008), Can Reading Recovery End of Intervention Status Decision Predict Later Achievement? A South Dakota Study., Journal of Reading Recovery, vol. Spring, pp. 60-65.
Awards and Honors:
- Belbas- Larson Award for Excellence in Teaching Nominee, The University of South Dakota