Kinesiology & Sport Science, School of Education
UP Patterson Hall 132A
Recently completed 12 years of teaching in K-12 public school education in Minnesota. Served as a high school coach (basketball, softball, hockey) and college (softball, basketball) for a combined total of 19 years.
K-12 Physical Education, Health Education and Coaching Education
Cognitive strategies in Physical Education and Coaching
- EDD, Teaching and Learning , University of Minnesota, 2012
- MA, Teaching and Learning, University of Minnesota-Duluth, 2003
- BS, Physical Education , University of Wisconsin-Superior, 1999
- Shim, A. L., Cross, P., Norman , S., Hauer, P., (2014), Assessing Various Body Composition Measurements as an Appropriate Tool for Estimating Body Fat in Division 1 Female Collegiate Athletes., American Journal of Sports Science & Medicine/Science and Education Publishing, vol. 2, iss. (1), pp. 1-5.
- Shim, A. L., Short, T., Yom, J. P., Norman , S., (2013), Can Pedal-less Bicycles Improve Stability Scores in 3-5 year old children?, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 23, iss. 6.
- Shim, A. L., Norman , S., (2013), Teaching Balance Training to Improve Stability and Cognition for Children, Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, & Dance/Routledge Publishers, vol. 84, iss. 8, pp. 15-17.
Awards and Honors:
- SDHPERD University Physical Education Teacher of the Year, South Dakota Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, 2013
- Norman , S., Shim, A. L. (2014, February). Development of an Online Master's Program to Maintain the Philosophy of the RCM Model. Presented at the Eastern Educational Research Association, Jacksonville, Florida.
- Norman , S. (2013, November). Fitness Routines for All Children. Presented at the SDAHPERD Check Your Bearings, Brookings, South Dakota.
- Shim, A. L., Short, T., Yom, J. P., Norman , S. (2013, October). Can Pedal-less Bicycles Improve Stability Scores in 3-5 year old children?. Presented at the Sports Medicine Australia Annual Conference, Phuket, Thailand.
- Norman , S. (2013, February). Mental Skills Training: A student-athletes experience to develop copying skills on the field and in the classroom. Presented at the EERA , Sarasota, Florida.
- Norman , S. (2012, November). Introductory Movement Activities for Physical Education. Presented at the SDAHPERD Spearfish, SD, Spearfish, South Dakota.
- Norman , S. (2012, February). Mental Skills Training: Intervention Strategies to Reduce Anxiety and Increase Confidence, Concentration, and Motivational Levels with Female Collegiate Athletes at the Division II level of Sport. Presented at the Eastern Educational Research Conference, Hilton Head, South Carolina .