Introduction to Neurobiology (BIOL 430/530)
Medical Neuroscience (IMC 602)
Neurobiology of Disease (NCSI 792)
Neuroscience, specifically neuroplasticity related to pain signaling within the central
I am currently recruiting for graduate students to participate in an R01-funded research
project on the role of endocannabinoids in pain-related sensitization and habituation.
This project that will involve electrophysiological, behavioral and molecular biology
approaches. Potential applicants can contact Dr. Burrell for more details (email@example.com).
Applications will be made through the USD Basic Biomedical Sciences graduate program.
I highly value providing graduate training opportunities for students from diverse
racial, ethnic, religious, gender, sexual orientation, and other cultural and social
backgrounds. For the scientific enterprise to serve all members of our society, all
members of our society must be involved in science.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- , Yanqing W., and Burrell, Brian. Differences in chloride gradients allow for three distinct types of synaptic modulation
by endocannabinoids, 619-628. Vol. 116. Journal of Neurophysiology, 2016.
- Summers, Torrie, Wang, Yanqing, , Brandon H., and Burrell, Brian. Physiological, Pharmacological, and Behavioral Evidence for a TRPA1 Channel That Can
Elicit Defensive Responses in the Medicinal Leech, 3023-3031. Vol. 218. Journal of Experimental Biology, 2015. (DOI: 10.1242)
- Wang, Yanqing, Summers, Torrie, Peterson, Warren, Miiller, Elly, and Burrell, Brian. Differential effects of GABA in modulating nociceptive vs. non-nociceptive synapses, 397-409. Vol. 298. Neuroscience, 2015. (DOI: 10.1016)
- Hahn, Elizabeth, and Burrell, Brian. Pentylenetetrazol-induced seizure-like behavior and neural hyperactivity in the medicinal
leech, 1-8. Vol. 15. Vermillion: Invertebrate Neuroscience, 2015.
- Summers, Torrie, and Burrell, Brian. Physiological and behavioral evidence of a capsaicin-sensitive TRPV-like channel in
the medicinal leech, 4167-4173. Vol. 217. Vermillion: Journal of Experimental Biology, 2014.
- Yuan, Sharleen, and Burrell, Brian. Non-nociceptive afferent activity depresses nocifensive behavior and nociceptive synapses
via an endocannabinoid-dependent mechanism., 2607-2616. Vol. 110. Journal of Neurophysiology, 2013. (DOI: 10.1152)
- Higgins, Alexandra, Yuan, Sharleen, Wang, Yanqing, and Burrell, Brian. Differential Modulation of Nociceptive versus Non-Nociceptive Synapses by Endocannabinoids, 26. Vol. 9. Molecular Pain, 2013.
- Yuan, Sharleen, and Burrell, Brian. Endocannabinoid-dependent long-term depression in a nociceptive synapse requires coordinated
pre- and postsynaptic transcription and translation, 4349-4358. Vol. 33. Journal of Neuroscience, 2013.
- Yuan, Sharleen, and Burrell, Brian. Long-term depression of nociceptive synapses by non-nociceptive afferent activity:
Role of endocannabinoids, Ca2+, and calcineurin., 1-11. Vol. 1460. Brain Research, 2012.
- Li, Qin, and Burrell, Brian. Associative, bidirectional changes in neural signaling utilizing NMDA receptor- and
endocannabinoid-dependent mechanisms., 545-553. Vol. 18. Learning & Memory, 2011.
- Grey, Kathryn B., and Burrell, Brian. Seasonal variation of long-term potentiation at a central synapse in the medicinal
leech., 2534-2539. Vol. 214. J Exp Biol, 2011.
- Grey, Kathryn, and Burrell, Brian. Co-induction of LTP and LTD and its regulation by protein kinases and phosphatases., 2737-2746. Vol. 103. Journal of Neurophysiology, 2010.
- Yuan, Sharleen, and Burrell, Brian. Endocannabinoid-dependent LTD in a nociceptive synapse requires activation of a presynaptic
TRPV-like receptor., 2766-2777. Vol. 104. J Neurophsiol, 2010.
- Li, Qin, and Burrell, Brian. Properties of cannabinoid-dependent long term depression in the leech., 841-851. Vol. 196. J Comp Physiol , 2010.
- Crisp, Kevin, and Burrell, Brian. Cellular and behavioral properties of learning in the leech and other annelids. In
Annelids as Model Systems in the Biological Sciences. In Annelids in Modern Biology. Annelids as Model Systems in the Biological Sciences, 2009.
- Grey, Kathryn B., Moss, Brenda L., and Burrell, Brian. Molecular identification and expression of the NMDA receptor NR1 subunit in the leech., 11-20. Vol. 9. Invert. Neurosci, 2009.
- Li, Qin, and Burrell, Brian. Two Forms of Long Term Depression in a Leech Polysynaptic Connection: One NMDA Receptor-Dependent
and the other Cannabinoid-Dependent., 831-841. Vol. 195. J Comp Physiol., 2009.