Dr. Derrick Robinson is an Assistant Professor of Educational Leadership and Curriculum
and Instruction. He has 22 years of teaching and school administration experience
in urban schools.
Education Leadership; School Finance; Research Methods; Dissertation Seminar; Culturally
School Culture and Climate; Teacher and Leader Effectiveness; Teacher Educator Effectiveness;
College and Career Readiness; Discipline Policy Reform; Culturally Responsive School
Leadership; Culturally Responsive Pedagogy
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Adams, Tempestt, Robinson, Derrick, Covington, Azure, and Talley-Matthews, Sheikia. Fueling the STEMM: How historically black colleges and universities improve the presence
of African American scholars in STEMM, 9-25. Vol. 13, Iss. 1. Los Angeles, CA: Journal of Urban Learning, Teaching, and Research, 2017.
- Robinson, Derrick, and Lewis, Chance. Typologies for effectiveness: Characteristics of effective teachers in urban learning
environments, 124-134. Vol. 13, Iss. 1. Los Angeles, CA: Journal of Urban Learning, Teaching, and Research, 2017.
- De Jong, David, Curtin, Susan, Robinson, Derrick, Johnson, Stephen, Schaap, Ben, and Card, Karen. Division of Educational Leadership: Completed Dissertation Research Impacting the
Midwest, 13. Vol. 1, Iss. May 2017. Vermillion, South Dakota: University of South Dakota School of Education, 2017.
- Campbell-Whatley, Gloria, Booker, Keonya, Robinson, Derrick, and Butler, Bettie. Children in Urban Centers. In A school leader's guide to implementing the common core: Inclusive practices for all
students, 84-100. New York, NY: Routledge, 2016.
- Robinson, Derrick, Watson, Marcia, and Adams, Tempestt. I don't do school: Correlations of school culture, power, fairness, and behaviour
perceptions, 19-43. Vol. 11, Iss. 2. International Journal on School Disaffection, 2015. (DOI: 10.18546/ijsd.11.2.02)
- Robinson, Derrick, Watson, Marcia J., and Adams, Tempestt R.. I don't do school: Correlations of school culture, power, fairness and behaviour perceptions, 19-43. Vol. 11, Iss. 2. The International Journal on School Disaffection, 2015.
- Hunter, Sharon H., Watson, Marcia, Adams, Tempestt, Robinson, Derrick, and McKee, William. Preparing preservice teachers with effective classroom language skills: Examining
the utility of code-switching for enhancing lesson delivery. Edited by Kathleen Roney, 1-10. Vol. 29, Iss. 1. Wilmington, North Carolina: North Carolina Association for Middle Level Education Journal, 2015.
- Watson, Marcia, Robinson, Derrick, Hollis, Tiffany, and Talley-Matthews, Shekia. The 21st century color line: Assessing the economic and social impact of urbanization
and school discipline. Edited by Chance Lewis, Tempestt Adams, Katie Brown, 63-76. Vol. 3, Iss. 1. Charlotte, North Carolina: Urban Education Research and Policy Annuals, 2015.
- Robinson, Derrick. Craig S. Wilder. Ebony and Ivy: Race, Slavery, and the Troubled History of America's
Universities. New York: Bloomsbury Press, 2013. 432 pp. E-book $13.99., 127-130. Vol. 55, Iss. 01. History of Education Quarterly, 2015. (DOI: 10.1111/hoeq.12099)
- Butler, Bettie, Robinson, Derrick, and Walton, Calvin. A perfect storm: How pose, perception, and threat converge to perpetuate discriminatory
discipline practices for black male students.. In African American male students in prek-12 schools, edited by James Moore III and Chance W. Lewis, 151-176. Bingley, WA: Emerald Group Publishing, 2014.
- Robinson, Derrick, Allen, Ayana, and Lewis, Chance. The Human Capital Investment: Supporting the Development of Visionary Change Agents
in Teacher Preparation Programs for Urban Schools and Communities. In Teacher education and the black community: Implications for access, equity and achievement, edited by Lewis, C., Sealey-Ruiz, Y., & Toldson, I., 161-188. Charlotte, North Carolina: Information Age Publishing, 2014.
- Robinson, Derrick. What is the 21st century transformational school leader? From theory to construction. Journal for Transformative Leadership and Policy Studies .
- Robinson, Derrick. Cranes, cones, and invisible walls: How zip codes, economic development, and housing
patterns strengthen segregation. In Black Bodies Blue Ribbons, edited by Fasching-Varner, K., Tobin, K., & Lentz, S. ..
- EastonBrooks, Donald, Robinson, Derrick, and Williams, Sheneka. Schools in Transition: Creating a Diverse School Community. Teachers College Record .
- Robinson, Derrick, Schaap, Benjamin, and Avoseh, Mejai Bola. Emerging themes in Creative Higher Education Pedagogy. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education .
- Robinson, Derrick. Urban Islands: How Social Capital Saves Lives. In Global Issues and Urban Schools: Strategies to Effectively Teach Students in Urban
Environments around the World, edited by Lewis, C., & Robinson, P...
- Lewis, Chance, Bryant, Dante, Bryant, Amber, Williams, Nakeshia, and Robinson, Derrick. At risk children and teacher preparation. In Improving educational outcomes of vulnerable children: Starting from the bottom, edited by F.D. Beachum & F.E. Obiakor. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing.
- Robinson, Derrick, Talley-Matthews, Shekia, Brown, Katie, Jackson, Dia, and Brown-Bynum, Tanisha. Transformative Turnaround: Implications for an Urban Learner-Centered School Design. In Asa Hilliard/Barbara Sizemore compendium on African Americans and education: Improving
assess, Equity, and achievement.. Charlotte, North Carolina: Information Age Publishing.