Ecology, Fish Ecology, Stream Ecology
I study the ecology and conservation of stream and terrestrial ecosystems. I use population,
community, behavioral and food web ecology to 1) guide conservation of freshwater
species, and 2) understand how species loss, species introductions, and pollution
affect food webs within and across ecological boundaries.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Sazama, Eric, Bosch, Michael, Shouldis, Carmelita, Ouellette, Scot, and Wesner, Jeff. Incidence of Wolbachia in aquatic insects, 1165-1169. Vol. 7, Iss. 4. Ecology and Evolution, 2017. (DOI: 10.1002/ece3.2742)
- Belk, Mark, Laidlaw, Clint, Maxwell, Madison, and Wesner, Jeff. Building a Better June Sucker: Characterization of Mouth Shape in the Captive Brood
Stock. Vol. 9, Iss. 1. The Open Fish Science Journal, 2016.
- Wesner, Jeff. Contrasting effects of fish predation on benthic versus emerging prey: a meta-analysis, 1205-1211. Vol. 180, Iss. 4. Oecologia, 2016.
- Allen, Daniel, and Wesner, Jeff. Synthesis: comparing effects of resource and consumer fluxes into recipient food webs
using meta-analysis, 594-604. Vol. 97, Iss. 3. Ecology, 2016.
- Wanty, Richard, Balistrieri, Laurie, Wesner, Jeff, Walters, David, Schmidt, Travis, Podda, F, De Giudici, G, Stricker, Craig, Kraus, Johanna, Lattanzi, P, Wolf, Ruth, and Cidu, R. Isotopic insights into biological regulation of zinc in contaminated systems, 60-63. Vol. 13. Procedia Earth and Planetary Science, 2015.
- Wesner, Jeff, and Belk, Mark. Variation in the trophic position of common stream fishes and its relationship to
the presence of a rare fish, northern leatherside chub (Lepidomeda copei).. Ecology of Freshwater Fish, 2015.
- Wesner, Jeff, Meyers, Peter, Billman, Eric, and Belk, Mark. Habitat selection and consumption across a landscape of multiple predators, 121-129. Vol. 5, Iss. 1. Ecology and Evolution, 2015. (DOI: 10.1002/ece3.1256)
- Carr, Natasha B., Garman, Steven L., Walters, Annika, Ray, Andrea, Melcher, Cynthia P., Wesner, Jeff, O'Donnell, Michael S., Sherrill, Kirk R., Babel, Nils C., and Bown, Zachary H.. Wyoming Basin Rapid Ecoregional Assessment Work Plan. USGS, 2013.
- Wesner, Jeff. Fish predation alters benthic, but not emerging, insects across whole pools of an
intermittent stream, 438-449. Vol. 32, Iss. 2. Freshwater Science, 2013.
- Wesner, Jeff. Emerging aquatic insects as predators in terrestrial systems across a gradient of
stream temperature in North and South America, 2465-2474. Vol. 57, Iss. 12. Freshwater Biology, 2012.
- Wesner, Jeff, Billman, Eric J., and Belk, Mark C.. Multiple predators indirectly alter community assembly across ecological boundaries, 1674-1682. Vol. 93, Iss. 7. Ecology, 2012.
- Gillette, David P., Fortner, Allison M., Franssen, Nathan R., Cartwright, Sara, Tobler, Courtney M., Wesner, Jeff, Reneau, Paulette C., Reneau, Franz H., Schlupp, Ingo, Marsh-Matthews, Edie C., and others. Patterns of change over time in darter (Teleostei: Percidae) assemblages of the Arkansas
River basin, northeastern Oklahoma, USA, 855-864. Vol. 35, Iss. 9. Ecography, 2012.
- Wesner, Jeff. Predator diversity effects cascade across an ecosystem boundary, 53-60. Vol. 121, Iss. 1. Oikos, 2012.
- Wesner, Jeff, Cornelison, James W., Dankmeyer, Christopher D., Galbreath, Peter F., and Martin, Thomas H.. Growth, pH tolerance, survival, and diet of introduced northern-strain and native
southern-strain Appalachian brook trout, 37-44. Vol. 140, Iss. 1. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 2011.
- Wesner, Jeff, Billman, Eric J., Meier, Adam, and Belk, Mark C.. Morphological convergence during pregnancy among predator and nonpredator populations
of the livebearing fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora (Teleostei: Poeciliidae), 386-392. Vol. 104, Iss. 2. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2011.
- Wesner, Jeff. Shoaling species drive fish assemblage response to sequential large floods in a small
midwestern USA stream, 231-242. Vol. 91, Iss. 2. Environmental biology of fishes, 2011.
- Wesner, Jeff. Aquatic predation alters a terrestrial prey subsidy, 1435-1444. Vol. 91, Iss. 5. Ecology, 2010.
- Wesner, Jeff. Seasonal variation in the trophic structure of a spatial prey subsidy linking aquatic
and terrestrial food webs: adult aquatic insects, 170-178. Vol. 119, Iss. 1. Oikos, 2010.
- Wesner, Jeff, Walters, David, Schmidt, Travis, Kraus, Johanna, Stricker, Craig, Clements, William, and Wolf, Ruth. Metamorphosis affects metal concentrations and isotopic signatures in a mayfly (Baetis
tricaudatus): Implications for the aquatic-terrestrial transfer of metals., 2438-2446. Vol. 51, Iss. 4. Environmental Science & Technology. (DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.6b05471)
- Wesner, Jeff, Kraus, Johanna, Schmidt, Travis, Walters, David, and Clements, William. Metamorphosis enhances the effects of metal exposure on the mayfly, Centroptilum triangulifer. Environmental Science & Technology.
- Kraus, Johanna, Walters, David, Wesner, Jeff, Stricker, Craig, Schmidt, Travis, and Zeullig, Robert. Metamorphosis in insects alters risk of contaminant exposure in food webs. Environmental Science & Technology.
- Wesner, Jeff, and Belk, Mark C.. Trophic position of common freshwater fishes declines in the absence of a threatened
species. Ecology of Freshwater Fish.