Dr. Svien has practiced as a physical therapist since 1975 and a physical therapy
an educator/scholar since 1985. Holding faculty positions previously at Georgetown
University and currently at The University of South Dakota since 1989, she has participated
in the education of USD physical therapy students since the inception of the program.
Dr. Svien has been the program director for the past 16 years. She has provided physical
therapy services on rural reservations in South Dakota, for 18 years and less resourced
countries, such as Guatemala since 1998.
Pediatrics, Primary Health Care, Professionalism, Health Promotion
Global, Minority and Rural Health, Pediatric Outcomes, Public Health
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Berg-Poppe, Patti, and Svien, Lana. Practical Application of Systems Theory to Infant and Child Skill Acquisition and
Performance Assignment. In Compendium for Teaching Professional Level Physical Therapy Neurologic Content. Alexandria, VA: Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy of the American Physical Therapy Association, 2016.
- Seefeldt, Teresa, Mort, Jane, Brockevelt, Barbara, Giger, Jarod T., Jordre, Becca, Lawler, Michael J., Nilson, Wade, Svien, Lana, and . A Pilot Study of Interprofessional Case Discussions for Health Professions Students
Using the Virtual World Second Life.. Edited by Robin M. Zavod, PhD, 224-231. Vol. 4. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, 2012. (DOI: 10.1016/j.cptl.2012.05.007)
- Svien, Lana, Senne, Svien A., and Rasmussen, Carl. South Dakota accidental deaths, 2000-2007: what can we do?, 163-173. Vol. 63, Iss. 5. Sioux Falls, SD: South Dakota Medicine, 2010.
- Berg-Poppe, Patti, Smallfield, Stacy, and Svien, Lana. An investigation of depression and fatigue post West Nile Virus infection, 127-133. Iss. April 2010. South Dakota Medicine, 2010.
- Svien, Lana, Berg-Poppe, Patti, and Stephenson, Christine. Issues in Aging with Cerebral Palsy, 27-41. Vol. 24, Iss. 1. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 2008.
- Svien, Lana, Demuth, Sharon K., Dole, Robin L., and . A Compendium for Teaching Professional Level Physical Therapy Pediatric Content. In A Compendium for Teaching Professional Level Physical Therapy Pediatric Content, edited by Svien L, DeMuth S. and Dole R. , 125. Alexandria, Virginia: American Physical Therapy Association Section on Pediatrics, 2006.
- Svien, Lana. This is Why. PT Magazine.
- Biricocchi, Charlanne A., Drake, Jamie L., Svien, Lana, and . Balance Outcomes Following a Tap Dance Program for a Child with Congenital Myotonic
Muscular Dystrophy. Philadelphia, PA: Pediatric Physical Therapy.