Dr. Waalkes is an assistant professor in the counseling program. He is a licensed
school counselor and has experience as a school counselor in both a K-8 and a K-12
School counseling, problem-based learning, experiential learning, social justice pedagogies,
creative and multimodal approaches to teaching influenced by multiple intelligences
The development and preparation of teaching in counselor educators, cognitive development
of school counselors, creativity in counseling and supervision, qualitative research
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Waalkes, Phillip, Gray, Crystal, and Stickl, Jaimie. Engagement via evidence. ASCA School Counselor, 2016.
- Waalkes, Phillip, Benshoff, James, Stickl, Jaimie, Swindle, Paula, and Umstead, Lindsey. Structure, Impact, and Deficiencies of Beginning Counselor Educators' Doctoral Teaching
Preparation. Counselor Education and Supervision.
- Waalkes, Phillip, DeCino, Daniel, and Borders, DiAnne. The found poet: A new role for the structured peer group supervision model. The Journal of Poetry Therapy.
- Waalkes, Phillip. Sometimes There Aren't Enough Rocks. In A School Counselor's Guide to Small Groups: Coordination, Leadership, & Assessment..
- DeCino, Daniel, Waalkes, Phillip, and Smith, Paul. Letter writing: A creative tool for school counselors working with adolescents. The Journal of Creativity in Mental Health.