The U. S. Department of Education or The University of South Dakota may select your financial aid application (FAFSA information) for review in a process called verification. Selections for verification may be made randomly or to resolve any inconsistencies or errors made on a FAFSA application.
USD Verification Policy
In accordance with federal guidelines, USD will withhold the awarding of Federal Student Financial Aid until the verification process is considered complete. This policy ensures that the information provided by the Federal Processor and your aid eligibility determination is correct before any funds are awarded.
The verification process is considered complete once the following steps have been accomplished:
- Fully complete and submit to the Enrollment Services Center the Verification Form
Untaxed Income Verification Form
Instructions for Providing Tax Documentation
- Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to make corrections to your FAFSA
- Log in to your FAFSA at www.FAFSA.ed.gov
- Select "Make a FAFSA Correction"
- Navigate to the Financial Information section (for both the student and parent if applicable)
- Follow the instructions and click "Link to IRS" to transfer IRS income tax information into your FAFSA
- After you have successfully transferred your tax documentation using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you will be returned to your FAFSA
- You must provide your PIN numbers to sign the FAFSA and submit the updated information.
Note: You will be unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Option if:
- Your marital status changed after December 31, 2013
- You filed your tax return as "married filing separably"
- You filed an amended tax return
- You filed a foreign tax return
If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Request an IRS Tax Return Transcript for each tax return filed (if student and/or parent is married and filed separate tax returns, you must submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript for each filer). Be sure to request a return transcript and not an account transcript.
- Choose one of the following options to request your Tax Return Transcript:
- Go to http://www.irs.gov/transcript
- Click "Get Transcript ONLINE" to view and print your transcript immediately
- Click "Get Transcript by MAIL" to receive your transcript in 5 to 10 calendar days
- Call 1-800-908-9946 to order a tax return transcript by mail
- You may be able to got to your local IRS office to request a tax return transcript. to find a listing of IRS offices in your area, visit www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1
- Once you receive the Tax Return Transcript, send it to the Enrollment Service Center:
Enrollment Service Center
414 E. Clark St. SL30
Vermillion, SD 57069
Corrections to Previously Determined Aid Eligibility
If you request any changes or corrections to your aid record after aid has already been disbursed to you, the U. S. Department of Education could select your record for verification. In this event, you will be asked to provide various documents to verify the accuracy of your aid record according to the following deadlines:
- Federal Pell Grant: If you have already received Pell Grant funds prior to being selected for verification, you must provide requested documents by August 31 of the aid year you are receiving assistance, or no later than your last date of attendance for the academic year, whichever is earlier. Subsequent disbursements of Pell Grant funds will be withheld until verification is completed.
- Perkins Loan, Stafford Loan, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and Work-Study: The requested verification documents must be received at the ESC within 60 days of the first notification that documents are needed. Subsequent disbursements of Perkins Loan, Stafford Loan and SEOG funds will be withheld. You will also be asked to suspend Federal Work-Study employment pending the completion of verification.
If verification reveals that your aid eligibility has changed, it may be necessary to repay aid already disbursed to you. Failure to repay aid funds for which you have been determined ineligible will make you ineligible for further Federal Student Aid (whether grants, loans or work-study) at any institution until the aid is repaid in full. Your account will also be referred to the U.S. Department of Education to record your ineligibility for further Federal Student Aid.
Consequences of Failing to Complete Verification
- Pell Grant Program: Forfeiture of the Pell Grant for the award year.
- Perkins Loan, SEOG, Stafford Loan and Work-Study programs: USD will withhold subsequent disbursements of Perkins Loan, Stafford Loan and SEOG funds; discontinue your employment under the Work-Study Program and withhold certification of any further Stafford Loan applications.
- All programs: USD will take the necessary steps to secure repayment of aid funds already disbursed to you for which you have been determined to be ineligible.
Remember: The selection of an aid application for verification helps ensure the integrity of the federal student financial aid program. Prompt response to a verification request and completing the verification process will enable the University to quickly and fully disburse your aid funds.