To apply for financial aid at the University of South Dakota, follow these three easy steps:
- Obtain a PIN
All students, and parents of dependent students, should apply for a U.S. Department of Education
Personal Identification Number (PIN) online. PINs can be used to sign your FAFSA electronically, making the application process simpler and faster.
- Complete and Submit your FAFSA
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The FAFSA is available beginning January 1 of each year and there is no charge for submitting the FAFSA.
- File your FAFSA by USD's priority deadline of April 1 to be considered for certain limited funds.
- List the University of South Dakota' school code of 003474 on your FAFSA.
- Print and keep a copy of your submitted FAFSA form for your record.
- FAFSA Follow Up: Watch for your Student Aid Report
- Student Aid Report (SAR). When you're admitted, you will receive a Student Aid Report indicating the results of the FAFSA. Check the SAR for accuracy and make any necessary corrections.
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is the amount your family is expected to contribute to your education. This amount is calculated from the information you provided on the FAFSA and is listed on your Student Aid Report.
- Verification. If your application is selected for a process called Verification, you will be notified by the Enrollment Service Center (ESC) to complete the Verification Form and submit any required documentation. Do not submit documentation unless it is requested.
- Notification. Your Financial Aid Award Notification will be mailed to you. Return your signed and fully completed award letter to the Office of Financial Aid.