Scholarships are a form of gift aid that does not need to be repaid. Scholarships may be awarded for academic excellence, to recognize and encourage development in a particular field of study or for extraordinary artistic or athletic talent. The aid may be provided by the University, the USD Foundation, generous private donors or other sources. All USD scholarships and awards are subject to the University's Scholarship & Award Policy.
For more information or applications for the scholarships listed on this page with an asterisk (*), or to find other scholarship opportunities awarded by the USD Office of Admissions, please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions scholarship page.
- The deadline (Jan. 13) for freshman USD Scholarship Online Applications has passed.
- Applications for Transfer Scholarships are now available through April 1.
All first-time, freshman admitted students are automatically considered for scholarships including the University of South Dakota's Coyote Commitment. Other scholarships available to incoming students at USD may require an additional application and supplemental documents. Academic scholarships may be awarded based on a combination of standardized test scores, high school GPA, personal interview and any other specified criteria.
- Coyote Commitment (All admitted students considered)
Use the USD Online Academic Scholarship Application to apply for the following scholarships:
- Mickelson Scholarship*
- Presidential-Alumni Scholarship*
- USD School of Law Honor Scholar Program*
- Rawlins Scholarship*
- Ullyot Scholarship*
- Al Neuharth Excellence in Journalism*
- Sanford School of Medicine Alumni Student Scholars Program*
Field of Study
Criteria for some scholarships may include an interest in pursuing or majoring in a particular field of study. In most cases, these scholarships are awarded by the department or program sponsor. For information on additional departmental scholarships, please contact the dean of your academic department.
- Al Neuharth Scholarship for Excellence in Journalism
- Beacom Family Buisness Scholarship
- Bush Foundation Teacher Scholarship
- Dorothy S. Schieffer Political Science Scholarship
- Walter A. & Lucy Yoshiko Buhler Scholarship (Business/Fine Arts)
- ROTC Scholarships*
Talent scholarships are awarded to students by the academic departments based on a separate application and supplemental materials (auditions for theatre and music and a portfolio for art).
Student athletic scholarships are awarded to varsity athletes by USD coaches in compliance with the policies and procedures of the university, the Summit League, the Missouri Valley Football Conference and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The amounts and number of awards may vary.
Prospective transfer students,may apply for our transfer scholarships. Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society members are particularly encouraged to apply.