Music, College of Fine Arts
UFA Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts 129
David Holdhusen is the Director of Choral Activities and Assistant Professor of Music at The University of South Dakota. His duties include serving as conductor for the university’s three choral ensembles as well as teaching courses in conducting, choral literature and techniques, and applied voice. In addition, to his teaching responsibilities, Dr. Holdhusen is Director of the university’s annual Choral Directors Institute and Assistant Director of the Upper Midwest Summer Music Camp. Dr. Holdhusen received his Ph.D. in Music Education from Florida State University. He holds an M.M. from Northwestern University in Choral Conducting, and received his B.A. in Music with education certification from Gustavus Adolphus College. During his time at Gustavus, Dr. Holdhusen was elected to Pi Kappa Lambda and awarded the Presser Foundation Scholarship. Dr. Holdhusen is active as a guest conductor, adjudicator, and clinician throughout the region. He is a member of the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA), the College Music Society, the National Collegiate Choral Organization (NCCO) and the Music Educators National Conference (MENC). Dr. Holdhusen has had research published in national journals, and has presented clinics and served as an adjudicator for these organizations. He has also been elected to serve in leadership positions for these groups, including his current post as President for the South Dakota Chapter of ACDA. His book, “Commitment to Musical Excellence” was published by Cambridge Scholars Publishing in early 2011. Choirs under his direction have been invited to perform at state and regional festivals and conventions, have won first place and grand champion awards in music festivals throughout the country, and have been named as a finalist for the American Prize in Choral Performance.
Vocal Music, Chorus, Conducting, Music Education
Chorus, Conducting, Instructional Methods
- Ph D, Music Education, Florida State University, 2007
- MM (Master of Music), Choral Conducting, Northwestern University, 1998
- BA, Music and Education, Gustavus Adolphus College, 1996
- Holdhusen, D., (2011), Commitment to Musical Excellence: The 75 Year History of the Gustavus Choir, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, p. 275.
- Holdhusen, D., (2010), A History of the Choral Music Activities at Gustavus Adolphus College from 1862-1933, Journal of Historical Research in Music Education, vol. 31, iss. 2, pp. 118-131.
- Holdhusen, D., (2009), Using Choral Literature to Educate the Church Choir: How Teaching Your Choir More than Pitches and Rhythms Can Help You Win the Weekly Anthem Race, American Organist, vol. 43, iss. 10, pp. 90-92.
- Holdhusen, D., (2009), Nature's Witness.
- Holdhusen, D., (2009), Review of Foundations of Choral Conducting by Kevin Fenton, The Choral Journal, vol. 50, iss. 1, pp. 67-68.
- Holdhusen, D., (2006), Programming Tradition: The Signature Selection, The Choral Journal, vol. 47, iss. 3, pp. 51-53.
Awards and Honors:
- 3rd Place, National Opera Association, 2012
- Finalist, American Prize in Choral Performance, 2012
- Belbas-Larson Award for Excellence in Teaching Nominee, University of South Dakota, 2012
- Finalist, American Prize in Choral Performance, 2011