Music, College of Fine Arts
UFA Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts 148
Jonathan Alvis is the Director of Athletic Bands and Assistant Professor of Low Brass at the University of South Dakota (Vermillion). He completed the Doctor of Musical Arts degree in Trombone Performance from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in 2009. Earning a Master of Music degree in Trombone Performance from UNCG in 2007, Alvis received a Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education from Concord University in 2004. His trombone instructors include Randy Kohlenberg, Andrew Necessary, and his father Derk, and studies in conducting have been with John Locke. At USD, Alvis directs The SOUND of USD, the Coyote Pep Band, and the low brass ensembles. He also teaches low brass students, methods courses, supervises student teachers, and is the Director of the Upper Midwest Summer Music Camp. Alvis, a Conn-Selmer endorsed artist, marched with The Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps from Allentown, PA.
Athletic bands, trombone, tuba, euphonium, music education, wind band.
Trombone performance, wind band literature, wind band rehearsal techniques, music education.
- Doctor of Musical Arts, Trombone Performance, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2009
- Master of Music, Trombone Performance, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2007
- BS, Music Education, Concord University, 2004
- Alvis, J., Pre-Service Teaching Experiences During the University of North Carolina at Greensboro Summer Music Camp, North Carolina Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators Fall Teaching Forum.
- Alvis, J., Using the iPad in the Collegiate Classroom: A Teacher Education Revolution, North Carolina Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators Fall Teaching Forum.
- Alvis, J., (2013), Views from the Press Box: Lessons and Advice from Marching Adjudicators, The Instrumentalist Publishing Co. , vol. 67, iss. 10, pp. 12-18, 44-45.
- Alvis, J., (2010), Earth Games 2012, International Trombone Association , vol. 38, iss. 4.
- Alvis, J., (2010), The Bad and the Beautiful, International Trombone Association, vol. 38, iss. 4.
- Alvis, J., (2010), Ontario Overtones, International Trombone Association, vol. 38, iss. 3.