Music at USD: Be a Part of it!
The mission of the Department of Music at the University of South Dakota is to provide students with the knowledge and skills to become professional musicians - performers, educators, scholars and lifelong learners. Students are provided opportunities for musical development, leadership development and personal enrichment through mentored performances, classroom studies, individual instruction and guided research.
We Thought You'd Like to Know:
- USD is the newest university affiliated with Conn-Selmer, Inc., the largest manufacturer of band and orchestral instruments and accessories in the United States.
- Our department was one of the first formal departments created by the founders of USD in 1887.
- We are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- Excellent music faculty are internationally active through research projects and performances, and they bring the most current information back to the classroom.
- Our Rawlins Piano Trio performs regularly throughout the United States and abroad, including prestigious concert series, television and radio broadcasts, appearances at conferences and educational outreach to young audiences.
- We award over $140,000 in music scholarships each year.
- The Department of Music was named "Department of the Year" by the Student Government Association in 2004 and in 2008.
- Our Music Educator's National Conference Chapter #343 received the South Dakota Board of Regents Academic Excellence Award and a Collegiate Membership Chapter Growth Award in 2005.
- Our Pi Kappa Lambda national honor society for music has inducted 36 members to date.
- Our music ensembles tour the region to visit public schools and various community centers.
- Various ensembles are scheduling tour Europe--the Chamber Singers and Brass Choir have toured Germany, Denmark and Norway.
- We offer several courses designed to utilize the most current software applications as part of our commitment to technology.