Paul Lombardi holds a Ph.D. in music composition from the University of Oregon, and studied composition with David Crumb, Robert Kyr, Stephen Blumberg, and Leo Eylar. His music has been performed in more than 20 states across the US, as well as in other areas in North America, South America, and Europe. Recordings of his music are available from Capstone Records, Zerx Records, and ERMMedia. Many groups have played his music, notably the Kiev Philharmonic, the East Coast Composers Ensemble, Third Angle, and the Hundredth Monkey Ensemble. His music has been performed at national and regional Society of Composers conferences as well as numerous festivals. He is the winner of the 2011 Renée B. Fisher Piano Composition Competition, and has received commissions including one by the Oregon Bach Festival Composers Symposium in honor of George Crumb on the occasion of his 75th birthday. Some of his scores are published in the 2011 Anthology of Contemporary Concert Music and the SCI Journal of Scores (forthcoming). Dr. Lombardi’s theoretical work focuses on mathematics and music, and is published in the Music Theory Spectrum, Indiana Theory Review, Mathematics and Music (forthcoming), Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, and College Music Symposium (forthcoming). He has presented his research at numerous theory conferences, both national and regional. He was the pianist for the Hundredth Monkey Ensemble from 2000 to 2003, and was a soloist for the Siskiyou Community Orchestra in 1994. He is an assistant professor of music theory and composition at the University of South Dakota, teaches online theory classes for the University of New Mexico, and in 2010 was a member of the faculty at the Shenandoah University.
Music and mathematics; Music composition; Pedagogy technology
- Ph D, Music Composition, University of Oregon, 2004
- M.M., Music Composition, California State University, Sacramento, 1998
- B.M., Music Theory and Composition, California State University, Sacramento, 1996
- A.S., College of the Siskiyous, 1994
- Lombardi, P., (2013), Serial N-Cubes, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp. 240-53.
- Lombardi, P., (2013), Review of Behind Bars: The Definitive Guide to Music Notation, by Elaine Gould, College Music Symposium: Journal of the College Music Society, vol. 51.
- Lombardi, P., Segue, The SCI Journal of Music Scores, vol. 48.
Awards and Honors:
- International Music Prize for Excellence in Composition, International Music Prizes, 2011
- Renée B. Fisher Piano Composer Award, Neighborhood Music School, New Haven, CT, 2011
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Oregon, 2003
- Pi Kappa Lambda, Association of College Honor Societies, 1996
- Senior Achievement Award, California State University, Sacramento, 1996