USD Summer Music Camp
This year we are hosting the USD Summer Music Camp July 13 - 18, 2014. To register for the event, please complete the following:
Overview & Costs
The University of South Dakota Summer Music Camp is a six-day experience of learning and music-making open to students who have completed grades 5–12. Activities include vocal and instrumental ensembles, as well as a variety of other musical activities. Opportunities for private lessons in a specific instrument or voice are also available.
The total cost of camp is $425 for resident campers and $275 for commuters. After the early registration deadline of June 27, these costs increase to $450 for resident campers and $300 for commuters.
Housing & Meals
Students will be housed in air-conditioned residence halls located on USD's campus near the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts, the main meeting area for the camp. Students may check into their rooms after completing camp registration and will be allowed to stay in the residence halls through the evening of the final concert. Those students staying on campus should bring sheets, blankets, pillows for their beds and towels for showering.
All meals are provided beginning with dinner on Sunday evening and continuing through dinner on Friday. Students living in or near Vermillion have the option of attending camp as commuters rather than staying on campus. Options for purchasing single meals or a meal plan for commuters while at camp will be available at camp registration.
Campers may select any combination of the following major ensembles within their grade level (junior high or senior high):
- Beginning Concert Band (just completed grades 5–6)
- Junior High Concert Band (just completed grades 7–9)
- Junior High Concert Choir (just completed grades 5–9)
- Senior High Concert Band (just completed grades 10–12)
- Senior High Concert Choir (just completed grades 10–12)
- String Orchestra (just completed grades 8–12)
In addition to the above major ensembles, students have the option to select from the following secondary ensembles:
- Junior High Jazz Band (just completed grades 5–9 and play a jazz instrument)
- Junior High Show Choir (just completed grades 5–9)*
- Senior High Jazz Band (just completed grades 10–12 and play a jazz instrument)
- Senior High Show Choir (grades 10–12)*
- Chamber Choir (audition grades 9–12)
- Chamber Strings (available to string orchestra members)
*Participation in the Concert Choir is required to be a member of the Show Choir
- Jazz Band, Show Choirs, and Percussion ensembles will perform Thursday, July 17 at 7 p.m.
- Concert Bands, Concert Choirs and String Orchestra will perform Friday, July 18 at 7 p.m.
- Both performances will take place in Aalfs Auditorium.
- A Chamber Recital featuring Chamber Strings, Opera, Chamber Choir, and other small ensembles will take place on Friday, July 18 at 11:30 am in Colton Recital Hall
Students wishing to take a private lesson on their instrument or voice will have the option of registering for a 30 minute lesson. High school students only may also request one full hour of private study if they so choose. The fee for one half-hour lesson is $20. A one-hour lesson is $40 and is recommended only for students in grades 9-12. Students are asked to bring prepared music to work on in the lesson.
Scholarships are available for students who qualify. All scholarships require a letter of recommendation from the student's current music teacher. Types of scholarships include:
- Students who receive either Division I ratings on contest solos, or who are selected for any All-State ensemble qualify for a $50 scholarship. Students may not receive more than one $50 scholarship. Applicable to ratings received during the 2013 –2014 school year only.
- Students who attended camp last year (2013), will receive a $25 scholarship for each registered new student (up to 10) who has never attended the University of South Dakota Summer Music Camp in the past. This scholarship is worth up to $250.