The College of Fine Arts promotes programs and activities that develop a high level of professional competency in each student. Our programs include opportunities to acquire technical skills and theoretical information that will prepare you for whatever path you choose!
We pride ourselves in promoting personal integrity and social responsibility in students, and we recognize our position in providing leadership in the cultural environment of the University, the community and the state as a whole.
Our extraordinary programs offer:
- Faculty who are accomplished artists, performers and technicians.
- A variety of scholarships representing a wide diversity of emphasis areas.
- The Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts--a 104,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility which includes studios, galleries, labs, concert halls and a 450-seat proscenium theatre.
- Real-world experience through the Black Hills Playhouse, the National Music Museum, the University Art Galleries and the Visiting Artist program.
- B.F.A. students have access to the nation's top graduate programs following graduation.
You might like to know:
- We promote a wide variety of student-based activities, including over 20 musical ensembles and hands-on experience in Art and Theatre. We are home to the internationally-known Rawlins Piano Trio and other professional faculty ensembles.
- Our many music ensembles include the USD Marching Coyotes, USD Community Orchestra and Chamber singers, who have performed in New York and Europe.
- Scenic, Lighting and Costume design students in the Theatre Department have been invited to the Kennedy Center, and have had regional winners in various competitions with the American College Theatre Festival.
- The Art Department hosts the annual Frogman's Print and Paper Workshop, which brings over 120 artists and printmakers to campus.
- Fine Arts faculty have been selected to receive the University's prestigious Belbas-Larson Teaching Award three of the past four years.
- The annual Department of Music Summer Music Camp celebrated its 62nd year in 2013 with over 200 high school and middle school students attending the week-long sessions.
- The annual Band Directors and Choral Directors Summer Institute celebrated its 38th year in 2013.
Please browse our site for more information, and Contact Us if we may be of assistance.
Dean, College of Fine Arts
Office of the Dean