To excel as the premiere professional theatre training program built upon a liberal arts foundation.
The Department promotes excellence in education, research, and service by fostering student engagement and leadership; exploring new questions, techniques, and practices in the theatre; and supporting the principles of Inclusive Excellence by valuing diversity and inclusiveness throughout every sector of the department.
- The ideals of liberal education;
- The creative process through collaborative practice;
- Classroom study and practical experience are of equal and complimentary importance;
- The development of intellectual character and creative and personal growth;
- Students becoming life-long learners who contribute to their respective discipline and profession while enhancing the cultural lives of the University and community;
- The apprenticeship model for educating students in the art and craft of theatre;
- Relationships with The Black Hills Playhouse and other arts entities;
- Theatre as a vehicle for social, civic and cultural engagement;
- The ethical standards guiding our discipline and industry;
- Creative research, scholarship, and service.
- A faculty of practicing artist-scholars committed to excellence in education;
- Preparing the student for a career in the theatre and encouraging personal and creative growth;
- Providing a comprehensive liberal arts education that is supplemented by intensive craft-training;
- Developing creative and pragmatic problem-solving skills;
- Depth, breadth and flexibility of curriculum in NAST - accredited degree programs;
- Individualized professional and personal mentoring in a supportive environment;
- A high student success rate in top level academic and professional arts venues;
- Extensive opportunities in high quality production program;
- A long-standing association with The Black Hills Playhouse in Custer State Park and growing affiliation with the South Dakota Shakespeare Festival
***The University of South Dakota is an institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST).***