To excel as the premiere professional theatre training program built upon a liberal arts foundation. See our Past Productions.
The Department of Theatre prepares the student for a career in the theatre and encourages personal and creative growth. We do this by providing a comprehensive liberal arts education, supplemented by intensive craft-training, in which classroom study and practical experience are of equal and complimentary value. The Department promotes excellence in education, research, and service; fosters student engagement and leadership; develops creative and pragmatic problem-solving skills; explores new questions, techniques, and practices in the theatre; and inspires students to become life-long learners who contribute to their respective discipline and profession while enhancing the cultural lives of the University and their community.
- The ideals of liberal education;
- The creative process through collaborative practice;
- The development of intellectual character and creative and personal growth;
- The apprenticeship model for educating students in the art and craft of theatre;
- Relationships with The Black Hills Playhouse and other arts entities;
- Theatre as a vehicle for social, civic and cultural engagement;
- The ethical standards guiding our discipline and industry;
- Creative research, scholarship, and service.
- A faculty of practicing artist-scholars committed to excellence in education;
- Depth, breadth and flexibility of curriculum in NAST - accredited degree programs;
- Individualized professional and personal mentoring in a supportive environment;
- A high student success rate in top level academic and professional arts venues;
- Extensive opportunities in high quality production program;
- A long standing association with The Black Hills Playhouse in Custer State Park.
***The University of South Dakota is an institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST).***