Theatre Employment Opportunities
Black Hills Playhouse
The Black Hills Playhouse (BHP) is a non-profit, professional, summer stock theatre located in Custer State Park near Center Lake. Founded in 1946 by Dr. Warren M. Lee, a former professor of Theatre and Dean of Fine Arts at the University of South Dakota, the BHP serves as a cultural and educational center for the fine arts in the state of South Dakota. Each summer, theatre professionals, professors and students from across the country gather to create theatre in this unique environment.
South Dakota Shakespeare Festival
The mission of the South Dakota Shakespeare Festival (SDSF) is to increase the cultural, artistic and educational offerings of the state of South Dakota and the surrounding regions by offering high quality, professional Shakespeare performance and arts education events in a lively and accessible format. In Vermillion, SDSF performs in beautiful Prentis Park where free Shakespeare is brought to life each summer.
Students can apply to and/or audition for the BHP and the SDSF for employment or internship opportunities. Many students also audition/interview for employment or internship opportunities at regional conferences like:
- Midwest Theatre Auditions (MWTA, St. Louis)
- New England Theatre Conference (NETC, Boston)
- Straw Hat Auditions (New York City)
- Twin Cities Unified Theatre Auditions (TCUTA, Minneapolis)
- Unified Professional Theatre Auditions (UPTA, Memphis)
- American College Theatre Festival (location varies)
- United States Institute of Theatre Technology (USITT, location varies)