Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply to Graduate School and what is required?
- What resources are available to find housing, on-campus or off-campus?
- What is the student portal?
- How do I access myU portal?
- What is Webadvisor?
- How do I obtain a Webadvisor ID and password?
- How do I know that my graduate application is complete?
- How long does it take for a department to make an admission decision on my application?
- What are the general requirements to be offered full or provisional acceptance into the Graduate School?
- If I have been provisionally accepted, how do I become fully accepted?
A. Your Graduate Application is complete once all of the following have been received:
- Graduate Application
- Application Fee ($35 USD)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (Only 2 letters are required for the MBA and Professional Accountancy programs; 5 Letters are required for the Ph.D. in Counseling and Psychology in Education program)
- Statement of Purpose
- 1 Official Transcript from all institutions of higher learning (The transcript must be sent by the institution).
- Graduate Admission Test Scores (If scores are required)
A. There are many housing options available for Graduate Students. If you plan to live on campus, visit On-Campus Housing. If you plan to live off-campus, please visit Off-Campus Housing. There are also many listings for off-campus housing available in the local weekly newspaper called The Broadcaster.
A. The student portal, called myU Portal, is a campus portal, which enables convenient and effective communications among University members and provides a single point of entry to e-mail, Desire2Learn, personal calendar, and other University-wide network communications and functions.
A. Webadvisor provides registration, SDePay, course listings, grades, program evaluation information for all USD faculty, students and their advisors. For more information, visit Webadvisor.
A. To obtain a Webadvisor ID and Password:
- Login into the myU.Portal and click on the "Academics" tab
- Find the Webadvisor channel and click "Access Webadvisor"
- Click "I'm new to Webadvisor"
- Follow the instructions provided. Webadvisor will send you a temporary ID via e-mail
A. You can check the status of your graduate application by contacting the Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (605) 677-6240 or 1-800-233-7937.
A. The length of time it takes for a department to make an admission decision can vary. Typically, it take 1-3 weeks for a decision to be made and communicated to the student.
A. Full Admission to a graduate degree program is granted when the applicant satisfactorily meets all of the following requirements:
- Applicant possesses a Baccalaureate degree or an equivalent degree from an institution will full regional accreditation for the degree.
- A minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.7 on conferred degree and/or a graduate cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or better, based on a 4.0 scale, on all graduate coursework.
- All academic unit requirements of the area of the major are fully met. Such requirements are detailed in the current Graduate School Catalog under the departmental listings.
Provisional Admission may be granted to an applicant who does not meet the conditions for full admission but who gives evidence that he/she may be capable of graduate level work. Reasons might include, but are not limited to:
- Baccalaureate degree from an institution not having full regional accreditation.
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA below 2.7 on conferred degree and/or a graduate cumulative GPA below 3.0, based on a 4.0 scale, on all graduate coursework.
- Deficiencies in departmental requirements for undergraduate education or other prerequisites for study toward a graduate degree in that academic unit.
A. Your provisionally accepted letter will state exactly what you will need to do to become fully accepted into your program. If you have questions on the process, it is best to contact your advisor. Your advisor's contact information can be found on your acceptance letter. If you have any questions about this process, contact the Graduate School at email@example.com or 1-800-233-7937.