Ready to Apply to Graduate School at USD?
The following items must be submitted before an International Application for admission can be evaluated:
- Complete the Online Graduate School Application or you can download application and print it out:
Printable Application for Graduate Admission Form
Please note: F-1 and J-1 non-immigrant students can only study at the Vermillion or the University Center (Sioux Falls) campuses.
- US $35.00 Application Fee
- Proficiency Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 79 on the Internet-Based TOEFL (IBT) or 550 on the written TOEFL is required for graduate admission. The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) Exam is also accepted with a minimum score of 6.0. The PTE Academic English Test is also accepted with a minimum score of 53. Students from English-speaking countries (UK, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand) are not required to submit a TOEFL score if their academic records indicate that English was the classroom language for the majority of their schoolwork. Foreign students who have obtained an undergraduate or graduate degree from an American college or university are not required to submit a TOEFL score.
- One official
transcript of all academic work at the undergraduate and graduate levels
with English translation. The USD Graduate School and/or academic departments retain the right to require an Educational Credential Evaluators/World Education Services (ECE/WES) evaluation for a student if such evaluation is deemed necessary.
- GRE, GMAT, MCAT, or LSAT Score Report (if required by department)
- Three Recommendation Letters (Download the file and print it out.) Please Note: Three recommendation letters are required for most programs with the exceptions of the MBA requiring only two letters and the Ph.D. in Counseling and Psychology in Education requiring five letters.
- Statement of Purpose
*Please Note: Permanent residents and American citizens whose first language is not English and do not have a degree from an American University, must also complete the TOEFL or IELTS for admission to the University of South Dakota.
Once you have been accepted to USD, your I-20 cannot be issued until you have proven financial ability. You must complete the Financial Ability Form and provide official financial documentation showing the amount of cost to attend USD. If the statement is not your personal bank statement, a letter from the person owning the bank account is necessary indicating that person will be sponsoring you. Please send the form and financial documents together. **To avoid delays, send the form and financial documents WITH your application materials.
Transfer from American College or University:
The Transfer Form for International Students from another American college or university is required to process your transfer to USD.
Mailing Address for Application Materials:
University of South Dakota
McKusick Technology Center
414 E. Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069-2390
E-Mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 605-677-6240 or 1-800-233-7937
If you have any questions about the International Student Graduate Application process, please contact International Admissions at email@example.com or 1-800-233-7937 or visit the International Student Services Offices website.
* If you are a prospective student with a disability and need assistance or accommodations during the admission/application process, please contact the Director of Disability Services, 119B Service Center North, USD, Vermillion, SD 57069. Phone: 605-677-6389 Fax: 605-677-3172 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org