First-time freshmen completing their prerequisite coursework at USD should complete the application for admission to USD. You'll follow the program admissions process when you're further into your prerequisite work.
For students ready to apply to the program after prerequisite coursework, if you are not currently attending or have never attended USD, you'll first need to submit an application for admission. For the Intended Enrollment section, please choose the fall semester of the year for which you are applying, unless you plan to take USD classes before you would start the Dental Hygiene program.
The following need to be included in your application:
- Application Form
- It is critical that you carefully and fully complete the application, especially with regard to disclosure of prior or pending criminal charges as omission of this information could lead to the disqualification of your application. Please fill out online, print form out, sign in both places, and send to Dental Hygiene
- Please provide a written explanation for any offenses that have been disclosed on the Dental Hygiene application
- ACT scores (typically these will appear on high school transcript) are required; without these scores applications will not be considered. Please contact ACT to have scores sent or to sign up for testing
- If you attend a South Dakota public university, you will not need to provide ACT scores
- Official college transcripts from all colleges attended
- Please have official transcripts sent from all colleges attended to Selection Committee by January 15
- Transcripts must be sent directly from the schools to the university to be official. These will be forwarded to Enrollment Services Center for admissions purposes.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed or in progress at time of application deadline and need to be completed by June 1
- Applicants attending South Dakota public universities will not need to provide transcripts
- Three Recommendation Forms completed by:
- a dental professional
- a college instructor
- an employer or personal reference
- Dental Office Experience Form
- Technical Standards Acknowledgement Form
Completed applications must be received by the Department by February 1 to be considered for the upcoming fall class, but may be submitted at any time. Applications incomplete on February 1 will not be considered.
Secretary, Selection Committee
Department of Dental Hygiene
University of South Dakota
East Hall 120
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069.
It is your responsibility to ensure that all application materials are submitted. After completing your application, the majority of communication from the Selection Committee will be via e-mail. Letters of selection and non-selection may be sent out as late as May 1.
If you have already applied to the program and are reapplying please submit the following: