School of Health Sciences: Health Sciences, Health Affairs
UMS Lee Med/Sanford School of Medicine 302E
Ms. Larson is Associate Dean and Professor, School of Health Sciences. She has more than 30 years of experience as a nurse practioner, educator and researcher.
- EDD, Educational Administration, The University of South Dakota,
- MS, Nurse Educator Track, South Dakota State University, 1987
- BA, Nursing, Augustana College, 1975
- Participate & Presentation at "Teaching in Rural Areas", University of South Dakota Faculty Development Grant, (1999 - 1999)
- Larson, J., et al., Bibliography of nursing diagnosis publications.
- Larson, J., The University of South Dakota Nursing Expansion., Dakota Nurse Connection, vol. 1, iss. 2, pp. 13-16.
- Larson, J., (2010), Outcomes and Competencies for Graduates of Practical/Vocational, Diploma, Associate Degree, Baccalaureate, Master’s, Practice Doctorate, and Research Doctorate Programs in Nursing (2010). , National League for Nursing (NLN).
- Larson, J., (2007), Instilling Professional Values in the Student Nurse. Message from the President, SD Board of Nursing. , Dakota Nurse Connection, iss. 5(3): 4.
- Larson, J., (2007), Nightingale Virtual Skills Lab – Web based application that prepares students for performing nursing skills via computer – fully implemented fall 2007..
- Larson, J., Hankel, K., (2005), Creating an Undergraduate Classroom without Walls, Annual Review of Nursing Education Volume IV/Springer Publishing Co., pp. 205-217.
- Karpuk, L., Manning, K., Larson, J., Benedict, L., Yockey, J., (2005), Nursing Education and Nursing Service Partnership: Teaching Leadership Online., Home Healthcare Management & Practice, vol. 18, iss. 1, pp. 27-32.
- Larson, J., Benedict, L., Brown, R., Feller, L., (2005), The Journey of Excellence: A South Dakota Nursing Program’s Response to Community Needs. , Home Healthcare Management & Practice, vol. 18, iss. 1, pp. 20-26.
- Larson, J., (2005), Wase Wakpa: A Community to University Connection., Home Healthcare Management & Practice, vol. (18-1) 53-56.
- Larson, J., (2004).
- Larson, J., (2003), Lakota Worldview CD 2003, Lakota Worldview CD 2003.
- Nelson, M. L., Howell, J. K., Larson, J., Karpiuk, K. L., (2001), Student Outcomes of the Healing Web: Evaluation of a Transformative Model for Nursing Education, Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 40, iss. 9, pp. 404-413.
- Larson, J., (2000), CADP Competency Statements for Graduates of Associate Degree Nursing Programs, Jones and Bartlett Publishing Co..
- Larson, J., (1999), Silvestri, L.A., Saunders’ NCLEX Review, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co.
- Larson, J., et al., (1998), Multiple entry: A new paradigm empowering nursing , (White Paper) Associate Degree Nurse Educators in South Dakota.
- Larson, J., Stuart, C., Johnson, S., (1997), A differentiated practice model: How connecting with a city health department provides unique learning experiences, Teaching in the Community. New York: National League for Nursing Press.
- Larson, J., (1995), Caring for the child and family, In Basic maternal-pediatric nursing. Albany: Delmar Publishers.
- Larson, J., et al., (1995), Preceptors in nursing [Video], (Instructional Development Educational Activity (IDEA) Grant, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD).
- Larson, J., Johnson, S., Holmes, P., Leuning, C., Schuller, L., (1995), The healing web: Curriculum changes to support differentiated practice roles in the community, In The web of inclusion. NY: National League for Nursing.
- Larson, J., Ries, C., (1995), The hospitalized child, Basic maternal-pediatric nursing. Albany: Delmar Publishers.
- Larson, J., (1992), The healing web: A transformative model for nursing education. , Nursing and Health Care, vol. 13, iss. 5, pp. 246-252.
- Bunkers, S., Larson, J., (1992), The healing web: A transformative model for nursing education., Nursing and Health Care, vol. 13, iss. 2, pp. 68-73.
- Larson, J., (1991), Anticipatory grieving., Sioux Valley Hospital Nursing Diagnosis Newsletter..
- Woolard, D., Larson, J., Hudson, L., (1989), Selective screening for Chlamydia trachomatis in women attending a university health service. , JOGNN.
- Larson, J., (1989), South Dakota survey on implementation of nursing diagnosis, South Dakota Nurse.
- Larson, J., (1989), Validation of the defining characteristics of alterations in self-esteem in clients with anorexia nervosa, Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Nursing Diagnosis..
- Larson, J., (1988), The defining characteristics of disturbance in self-esteem: A validation study., South Dakota Nurse, vol. 30, iss. 12.
Awards and Honors:
- Certificate of Merit for Boardsmanship
- Executive appointment by Governor Daugaard to serve on the South Dakota Board of Nursing (SD BON)for a third term through June 1, 2014. Elected Vice President of the SD BON 2010-2012., South Dakota Board of Nursing (SD BON)
- Executive appointment by Governor Rounds to serve on the South Dakota Board of Nursing for a second term until June 1, 2011
- Manchester’s Who’s Who (Executive and Professional Registry)
- Recognition and Appreciation for Service as a School Board Member of the Beresford School District 61-2
- Selected by the John A. Hartford Foundation to serve on a National Review Panel for “How to Try This”,, John A. Hartford Foundation
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2004.
- Who’s Who in American Nursing
- “Lucile Petry Leone Award” , National League for Nursing
- National League for Nursing Board of Governor for a three year term, beginning September 2011, National League for Nursing (NLN), 2011
- 2009 YWCA Tribute to Women “Education” award for leadership in education in the state of South Dakota, YWCA, 2009
- Inducted as a “Fellow” in the Academy of Nursing Education (ANEF), September 2008, 2008
- USD Nursing Department designation as a NLN “Center of Excellence ”for “Creating Environments that Enhance Student Learning and Professional Development” , National League for Nursing, 2007
- National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) Certificate of Recognition for 10 years of exceptional service to NLNAC, National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC), 2007
- USD Nursing designation as a NLN “Center of Excellence ”for “Creating Environments that Enhance Student Learning and Professional Development” 2004-2007., 2004
- Who's Who in Health Sciences Education 2003., 2003
- University Continuing Education Association Program Developer Award, Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society, 2003
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2002., 2002
- Distinguished Service Award, South Dakota State University College of Nursing, 2001
- Invited participant , Institute for South Dakota Leadership and Participation sponsored by the Chiesman Foundation for Democracy, 2000
- “Focus on USD Nursing”, Fuld Institute for Technology in Nursing Education, 1999
- Finalist for South Dakota School Board Member of the Year, Nominated by Beresford Schools Board of Education, 1998
- “Friend of Teacher Education” Award, 1998
- Leadership Appreciation Certificate, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Colleagues in Caring Regional Collaborative for Nursing Work Force Development , 1996
- Marquis Who’s Who, 49th Edition, 1995., 1995
- Who’s Who in America, 1994., 1994
- Outstanding Poster Award, Midwest Alliance in Nursing (MAIN) , 1993
- Award of Distinction, Associated School Boards of South Dakota, 1993