Nursing, School of Health Sciences
Dr. Amy Smith received her BSN from South Dakota State University in 1999, and her MSN from Walden University in 2007. She earned a PhD in Nursing from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in 2014. Her dissertation was entitled "The Lived Experience of Black African Nurses Educated Within the United States" and focused on increasing the diversity of the nursing workforce through the retention of black African students within nursing education programs. Dr. Smith's nursing experience includes working within the settings of community health, medical surgical, and obstetrical units. She has 7 years of experience teaching within clinical, residential, and online settings at both the AD and BSN levels, and is actively involved in the development and facilitation of online learning and evidence based practice within the RN-BSN program. In 2011 Amy attained the designation Certified Nurse Educator through the National League for Nursing.
Population Based Health, Rural Health, Research and Evidence Based Practice
The use of technology in nursing education, increasing nursing workforce diversity, and health promotion of populations.
- Ph D, Nursing , University of Nevada Las Vegas, 2014
- MS, Nursing Education, Walden University, 2007
- BSN, Nursing, South Dakota State University, 1998
Awards and Honors:
- Institutational Priority Funding Recipient, University of South Dakota School of Health Sciences, 2014
- Excellence in Scholarship Award Recipient , University of South Dakota Department of Nursing, 2014
- Smith, A. E. (2013, August). Panel Discussion with Faculty using Concept Based Curriculum. Presented at the Healthforce Minnesota PN Curriculum Workshop, Hennepin Technical College.
- Smith, A. E. (2011, October). Ethical Issues in Health Care Information Technologies. Presented at the Wisconsin-Minnesota AHDI Annual Regional Conference, La Crosse, Wisconsin.
- Smith, A. E. (2011, May). Ethical Issues Related to Advanced Health Care Information Technologies . Presented at the North Star Spring Symposium, Owatonna, MN.